Izzyjames

Question

I've taught myself to crochet this week and have managed one square but I'm really struggling with the next. The square is called 'square dance' from the book 'crocheted granny squares' buy val pierce.

The first two steps involve making a ring with single crochets. The next step reads:

'3ch, 1dc (uktr) in to the same space as 3ch, 2dc (uktr) in to each sc (ukdc) to end, join to 3ch at beg of round 24dc (uktr). Break a.

I'm completely thrown by what this means. So far I've done 1 double crochet chained 3 then done 2 more double crochet in to every single crochet in the ring but it looks nothing like the picture. I also have no idea where the last 24 double crochets come in to it! ???????????? please help!!!! Xx

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville! The 24 dc is just telling you how many stitches you have made, so you can count and be sure you are on the right track.

Can you take a clear photo of what you have made and post it?

Thankyou! I can't work out how to post a picture but I think mine is definitely wrong cause I've basically done 3 double crochets in every single crochet which is 36 rather than 24. What's the right way to do it? X

Welcome to the 'ville!  Unfortunately you need to be logged in to Ravelry to see the pic, but it is a pretty square!  (The project poster needs to push the 'share this' button on their project to make it viewable to non-members)

One of the nice things about crochet, especially sort of lacy or open patterns like this one, is if the pattern photo is clear it can often clear up questions you might have with the instructions.  Once you get more projects under your belt you might want to try a pattern from a stitch diagram, because it's easy to see how the stitches come together; a convoluted portion of a written pattern might be really simple and obvious on a stitch diagram.

I've managed to finish it now. Once 'magiccrochetfan' explained it I realised what I was doing wrong! I was being very stupid! I've even know managed to go back and work out other patterns that were confusing me!

Thankyou for all the help and advice x

I've managed to finish it now. Once 'magiccrochetfan' explained it I realised what I was doing wrong! I was being very stupid! I've even know managed to go back and work out other patterns that were confusing me!

You are NOT stupid!  You are just learning!  We all made mistakes, and still do, all the time!  Have fun crocheting!

Archived