how many skeins are need?

Candice Jones Daniel

Question

3 answers to this question

Well it would depend on the stitch you are doing it in and the size you want.  It's hard to say from the little info you posted.  Look at the yarn label and see what it recommends as far as hook size, etc.

I agree with Deb about depending on the stitch and afghan size. I glanced quickly through some of Lion Brand's patterns using Heartland- Thick & Quick and it runs between 8-12 skeins of yarn with a N hook, depending on the pattern.

I agree the best way to go about this is to find a pattern that is similar as possible to the stitch pattern, blanket size, yarn size, and hook you will be using.  If you can come close to all but the blanket size, you'd need to do some math:  you want blanket size x in square inches, the pattern is for blanket size y in square inches (which takes z yards), and calculate how many yards you will need to add or subtract to make up the difference.

Notice I said yards, not skeins - this is the important measurement as skein put-ups are different with different brands and yarn styles.  Here is a list of Lion Brand super bulky yarns (including discontinued), there are lots of different ones in there and I'm sure lots of different skein sizes. http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/yarnInfo.cgi?yarnByClass=1

Archived