Changing colors in granny squares

grannyscrochet

Question

I see the most beautiful granny squares with multiple colors.  I would really love to give one a try, but I can't figure out how to make the color changes.  I know using knots isn't good, and running the color back and forth between the stitches of the same color is next to impossible.  How does everyone do it?  I've attached a granny square that I'm interested in but I'm not sure how to handle the color changes.  Anyone?post-28448-0-95708300-1424903038_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

I take a blunt needle and weave it through (not run between) the fiber of the stitches of the same color, and do so in at least 2 directions.  It doesn't show, and doesn't come undone.

You need to leave a tail long enough to do this and be able to manipulate the needle.  If you weave under stitches, or around the thread, it won't be as secure.  

That's a really pretty square by the way.  And, it would be a little trickier to do with variegated thread with very short color changes.

Tying a thread over the end versus working several stitches over an end sounds less secure to me.   I've seen it reported in forums that thread can cut thru yarn (eventually, with wear)--I've never used thread with yarn and can't verify this, but something to consider.

Another thought, for something like an afghan square as you posted, this solution isn't very 2-sided friendly.

I don't think anyone loves weaving in ends, but it is sort of a necessary evil.  So many tales of woe here where this wasn't done properly and ruined the hard work on a piece...

and running the color back and forth between the stitches of the same color is next to impossible.  

Not really!  Have you tried weaving in the ends?  Like GrannySquare said, it is tedious and not fun for most of us, but it is really not difficult.  There is at least one row/round of every color, right?  So you have at least that much to weave into.  

Do you have the name/location for the square you posted?  I am curious about it ;-)  

I don't know why this idea about not knotting keeps going around, but if you don't knot, you may be very sorry in the future. If your item will need to be washed, especially in a washing machine, you DO knot the yarn, then weave in the tail. If you don't, even a 6" to 8" tail can pull out.

The only time I've ever been able to see knots on someone's work, was on a crocheted thread piece. Now, this person uses tiny dots of fabric glue on the back instead. Problem solved!

I've heard people say if you tie knots, the yarn can break there. Well, how tight are these knots? They don't have to be that kind of tight. Be reasonable. Don't yank on it like it's rope!

I thread my ends through to the back (or inside) of my work. After I tie them, the knot will usually bury itself inside a stitch at the first gentle pull while weaving in an end.

Archived