Confused about a pattern

charl

Question

I'm relatively new to crochet - mostly a knitter.  I found a great pattern though and paid for it on line.

Trouble is now I'm confused at a certain point, but the designer is only available on Facebook.

I don't have a Facebook account and have no way to contact her.  Is it OK for me to ask questions about the pattern and post it on a Forum like this?

Thanks,

Charl

14 answers to this question

Sure.  Don't post the whole pattern, but you can post the row instructions that are causing confusion.  

What's the name of the pattern, or is there a way you can post a link so we can see what it looks like?

And welcome to the 'ville, and to crochet!  :hook

Thanks so much for the reply.  Wasn't sure what the proper etiquette was on posting paid patterns.

The one I'm having trouble with is called the Wendy Blanket.  It's a combination of granny squares and stripes.

When I get to Round 4: Join the new color in any corner space. Ch3 (counts as first dc), 2dc, ch3, 3dc in same corner
space, ch1, 3dc in next ch1 space, ch1, 3dc-ch3-3dc in corner. Continue with 1 cluster of 3dc on the sides
and 3dc-ch3-3dc in the corners. End with a ss in the 3rd ch from first cluster of dc. Cut off yarn.
Repeat round 4 until you have 8 rows of stripes.

I get how to do Round 4, but I'm just not understanding the last line which says "Repeat round 4 until you have 8 stripes."

How did I get from Granny squares to stripes?  Then the next lines say: " Next we are going to make the squares. As you make the blanket bigger you will need more and more squares for every round."

Now it's back to squares again?

I'm lost.  Thanks.

Charl

looking at the picture and directions.   To quote her  " I started this blanket with an 8 row granny square." and "Repeat round 4 until you have 8 rows of stripes."   First she referrers to 'rounds' , then switches to say 'stripes'.   

When 'cutting off' one color and going to a new color,  just join it in any corner.   She's alternating between working rounds in the Granny Square pattern and then doing a round of little individual granny squares.  Then going back to working rounds.

Does this help?

Welcome to the ville,Charl  :hook

You may want to reread the site guidelines.  you are violating the copyright of the pattern, and the Crochetville rules, by posting the entire pattern.  As GrannySquare said in post 2, we may only post the bit of a pattern that we need to discuss.  

I'm sorry about the rule violation.   That's why I asked in my first post, because I didn't want to cause a problem.  If I could get in touch with the designer I would, but she is only available on Facebook and I don't use Facebook.  So I was stuck.

I know how to join new colors to the granny square, but she was switching the terminology between squares and stripes and I'm not sure when you stop the square and switch to the stripe.

From her Ravelry profile, I see the designer is from the Netherlands, so there may be a bit of language difference from what we are used to seeing.

I assume round 4 is at the very beginning?  I think she used the word round and stripe interchangeable there.  "next we are going to make the squares" is referring to the ring of small 4-round squares that surround the initial 8 round square.  

Looking at the photos on the Ravelry pattern page that Sarisue linked, I scrolled down to the designer's project that has the most straight-on photo, and you can clearly see the rounds of the whole pattern.  So you might want to look at that for reference.  

The whole pattern is you make an 8 round granny square, then 12 4 round granny squares, which are placed around the initial granny square to form a larger square.  then you work granny fashion around the perimeter of that square, for 8 rounds.  next you make 28 4 round granny squares and place those around the perimeter.  Again you work granny fashion around the whole square for 8 rounds.  then another set of grannie squares, another 8 rounds granny fashion around the whole thing, another set of granny squares, and finally 6 rounds granny fashion for the border.  

Does that help at all?  

OK.  If I follow, the first thing I'm doing then is the big 8 round granny square. 

Then am I doing 12 four round granny squares, but is each one a separate square which has to be attached?

Then the granny stripes, but are they separate too?

I'm really sorry for the misunderstanding and posting the pattern.  I probably should have tried something a little less challenging, but it's such a lovely blanket and I thought I could do it.

"Then am I doing 12 four round granny squares, but is each one a separate square which has to be attached?"

Yes.

The granny stripes are done as rounds onto the squares after you attach the squares.

You can go into your post and edit out the link to the pattern pdf.

Don't give up, granny squares by themselves aren't difficult, it's just that these are assembled in a different way--a big square in the middle, a bunch of little squares attached around it, then rounds worked around the little squares, repeat.  I hope she has given directions on how to 'join as you go', this will save time.

And I must say, looking at the Ravelry page, it's simple but quite stunning--and looks harder than it is.

Archived