Advice on what stitches to use for a giant crochet funnel/tornado

Christine Dake

Question

Hi.

I'm an artist, and next year I will be doing an art installation. I want to create crocheted funnels that hang from the ceiling and go down onto the floor. I want them at their widest to be a few feet around. I am teaching myself to crochet specifically for this. I was wondering if any of you would have an idea on what stitches would be best. I can look everything up on Youtube to learn it, but I don't know the language of crochet, except for now, chain stitch and double crochet. 

Any advice would be well appreciated!

Sincerely,

Christine Dake, NY

13 answers to this question

I would use single crochet, and be aware these are going to take a long time to make because you want them so large. Also you need to figure out how to make them hold their shapes ~ stuff them, use hoops, etc. It will have to be fairly lightweight or the funnels will droop.

You mentioned floor to ceiling. That will be very large pieces. I would use double crochet (dc) or triple crochet (tr) to make it go as fast as possible. Also, a bulky yarn like a "6 weight" (on yarn labels) or even a type of lightweight rope- something that would accommodate a Q hook or even larger if you can find such a hook. If going with some kind of rope, you could always dye it if necessary. Hope your show goes well.

Thank you! I woke up this morning with an idea of the yarn. Let me upload some photos... Okay, so what I saw in my mind this morning is something a friend made me years ago, but I just saw that it's knitted, not crocheted. Is there a similar stitch in crochet? (see picture). I've also attached the sketch of the installation I will be doing. It's a year long project, so there's no rush. I'm just trying to get ahead.

post-73572-0-46715700-1418833971_thumb.jpg

post-73572-0-12403700-1418833978_thumb.jpg

Example of open look of stitches at lrage gauge http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hemp-produce-drawstring-sac

Also if you google James Walters crochet, his site has pdf workshops that may be helpful, and you may like to read his book on freeform which is called either Crochet Workshop or Workbook i think. It discusses how to make lots of shapes. Sorry i cant post in more detail now.

Archived