Cluster confusion

Oliviasoaps

Question

Hello fellow crochet lovers! I'm at a total loss with these instructions:

Ch 2, (insert hook into next st and draw up a loop) 3 times--4 loops on hook. Yarn over and draw through all loops on hook.

It sounds as if I'm inserting the hook into 3 consecutive stitches, but that can't be right as there won't be enough stitches to complete the round and it won't make a cluster. I tried wrapping the yarn 3 times and drawing through all the loops, but the next cluster calls for drawing through 5 loops, and when I did it that way it didn't look right.

Can anyone please help?

-Michelle

6 answers to this question

My guess if you are making a cluster is that you insert into the next stitch and draw up a loop, insert into the same stitch and draw up a loop, insert into that same stitch and draw up a loop, and then yarn over and draw through all the loops to make the cluster.  In other words insert and draw up a loop in the same stitch three times and then yarn over and draw through all the loops on the hook.

I'd call that a puff stitch.  I'm having trouble finding a tutorial, as the tutorials have an extra yarn over .  

You should be pulling up loops all into 1 stitch.  It will look more like a mop than crochet stitches.

(edit) ok, I give up.  Here is a tutorial that doesn't match your description exactly, but is close.  Your pattern's description doesn't call for putting the yarn around the hook before inserting into the stitch.

https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=14

I think I may have figured it out. There is a diagram (which I usually ignore because they baffle me) and the symbol is for a 4 dc cluster. I was able to find this tutorial: https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=47

The instructions are quite different from the ones in my pattern, but it looks identical to the photo and seems to be working.

It was the repeat of inserting hook into same stitch and drawing up a loop that threw me. This has the same effect as simply yo 3 times in a row; I can't see how inserting the hook into the stitch each time made any difference, which means I'm surely doing something wrong. :) perhaps I don't know what drawing up a loop means. I'll google it.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

The pattern is wrong. You do not just draw up loops. You yarn over before each loop. The yarnover seems like an unneccessary step but you have to have that in there.

I cant open the annies page but here is a written description and short clear video on nexstitch http://www.nexstitch.com/v_puff_stitch.html

The pattern is wrong. You do not just draw up loops. You yarn over before each loop. The yarnover seems like an unneccessary step but you have to have that in there.

I agree with magiccrochetfan.  This is confusing, the way it's written.  It sounds more like a cluster stitch-you make partial dcs, then yarn over and go through all the loops on the hook.

Oops, my bad,  You're right, if you don't do the yarnover, the next time you stick the hook into the stitch to pull up a loop, it BECOMES a yarnover (you can skip the yo on the first stitch, but have to do them after that or you just get 2 loops with yarnovers in between).  I've never liked the look of puff stitches and have substituted something else for, er, decades, so forgot that little detail...  

But that means the number of loops in the pattern is wrong, if you YO, pull up a loop 3 times you have 7 loops on the hook.

Archived