Has anyone made this Bernat Christmas Tree Skirt?--Finished

greyhoundgrandma

Question

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/christmas-tree-skirt-198378.html

I am wondering if anyone has made this tree skirt already.

I have started it in the Happy Holidays yarn called for in the pattern. It does not look like it is going to be 50" in diameter---more like 36" .I don't usually make a gauge swatch (yes, I know I should), I check the gauge when I get part of the pattern made. But the gauge here is for sc and the pattern has no sc. I don't know if I'm that far off gauge or not. If it's only 36" I don't think it will look good around a very large tree. I ordered the yarn so I can't just change hook size and pick up more yarn at the store.

I see several problems with the pattern already. The beginning ch 114 makes twelve motifs instead of eleven. The written instructions for row 17 don't match the chart. I'm not very good at reading ahead on patterns, but the written one seems like the correct one.

I have two motifs made and can't decide whether to keep going or rip it out and use the yarn for something else.

7 answers to this question

I haven't used this yarn, but 13 stitches across 4" is only the tiniest fraction over 3 stitches per inch, which I would personally need a bigger hook than a G to achieve with most worsted weight yarns.

I've made a doily that looks almost identical to this (it had a more solid center, of course, and 12 trees).  My pattern source was a probably not legitimate one on the web, It occurs to me that the original may have been a Bernat pattern that Bernat has now re-tooled as a tree skirt and made some goofs in translating it to a tree skirt.

Do you really think you wouldn't have enough yarn if you started over and switched to a bigger hook?  It's really pretty as a tree skirt, that would be a shame.  The only thing that occurs to me if you needed more yarn (if you could find some - supposedly Joann's carries it) is to make every third tree in the white version of the same yarn (that would work out evenly, if you make 11 trees the last white one would be the missing 12th one)

Good luck, whatever you decide!  

I haven't contacted Bernat about a correction, just searched on line.

I think I will start over with a larger hook and see how it looks. You never know when a pattern calls for 3 skeins whether it takes most of the last one or just a little of it. I'll hope for the best. I'm using the green, red, white multi so maybe the dye lot won't matter if I have to order more.

I worked it with an I hook. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. It doesn't lay as flat as I had hoped, maybe because of the bigger hook. It still is not as large as the pattern says it will be--42" instead of 50".

post-43634-0-91803400-1417568600_thumb.jpg

That came out nicely!  I'm glad you had enough yarn!

I wonder if you could try blocking it and gain an inch or 2.  I usually don't like to 'kill' acrylic, but for this it might not be a bad thing for a tree skirt to be limp and not stretchy.  Maybe just maim it a little...

Thanks, Holly!

I was holding my breath on the last round, Granny Square. I had less than 3 yards left! I think I'll try it actually around a tree and see how it looks. Then I might try blocking it. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to blocking!

Archived