Suddenly incompetent

idagammy

Question

Seems if I crochet anything just because I see a pattern I want to try with no idea as to what I'm going to do with the finished piece, I rarely have any problem. When I try to do something for a specific gift, I suddenly become incompetent and have trouble with even the basic stitches. Anyone else have this happen?

7 answers to this question

I've made a few things for gifts, but if the giftee is involved, I let them choose colors, but give them a few carefully chosen patterns to pick from that I know I won't have any issues with. I can see myself going back to said giftee with the pattern of her dreams and saying sheepishly, "Sorry, I'm too dumb to do this one. Pick another."

It's strange how this happens once in a while, but it does.

I've been crocheting a long, long time, but one day I was at my friend's apt across the hall, and I was making a simple sc square done in rows. I finished it and all we could do is laugh until we were nearly crying! I couldn't believe I had just made such a horrible, crooked, lumpy square! I didn't crochet that badly when I was a newby. I don't know if things like this are a mind glitch or physical glitch.

There are times though, that the problem really is a particular pattern. Many are poorly written, many are not tested, and a surprising number have significant mistakes in them. That includes patterns from the yarn companies.

I become suddenly incompetent when trying to pick a color of yarn for a particular person. I wishy-washy forever and end up finally saying, oh well, they'll either like it or not!

I try not to get in the situation of someone coming to me with a particular pattern they want done.

It is like anything else, though. I think that because it is for someone else you try too hard to make it 'perfect'. How many times have you cooked your favourite cake when only the family is going to eat it, it is always perfect, but if you are having guests, it is bound to not turn out as well?

Archived