Flat Pattern

AsheSkyler

Question

Hallo ladies (and any gentleman)!

I am working on a pattern for a spherical object and while the textual part is done (except for one row), I'm not so sure about the diagram. For simplicity's sake, this post is about a ball. Now, whenever I see a diagram for a round/spherical object, it is always laid out in a circular pattern. Those are a real pain for me to draw. I'm thinking of doing a "flat pattern". Like so:

post-69309-0-78646500-1414063347_thumb.jpg

If you knew that you were making a ball or other round, spherical thing and you knew would have to join the end of each round to its beginning (or work in a spiral, whichever you prefer), would this diagram and instruction set be easy for you to understand?

The written part basically goes like this:

1. ch 5. sl st to close.
2. ch 1. [2 sc in 1 st] x5. sl st to close.
3. ch 1. [1 sc, 2 sc in 1 st] x5. sl st to close.
4. ch 1. [2 sc, 2 sc in 1 st] x5. sl st to close.
5. ch 1. [3 sc, 2 sc in 1 st] x5. sl st to close.
6. ch 1. [4 sc, 2 sc in 1 st] x5. sl st to close.
7. ch 1. [5 sc, 2 sc in 1 st] x5. sl st to close.
8-13. ch 1. 34 sc. sl st to close.
14. ch 1. [5 sc, sc2tog] x5. sl st to close.
15. ch 1. [4 sc, sc2tog] x5. sl st to close.
16. ch 1. [3 sc, sc2tog] x5. sl st to close.
17. ch 1. [2 sc, sc2tog] x5. sl st to close.
18. ch 1. [1 sc, sc2tog] x5. sl st to close.
19. ch 1. [sc2tog] x5. sl st to close.
20. tie off and finish.

5 answers to this question

I get what you are trying to do, but for someone who is accustomed to traditional crochet diagrams, this is a little confusing at first glance.  However, I think for someone with some crocheting experience it wouldn't be hard to follow.  Maybe if you had some disclaimer that the diagram doesn't exactly represent the relationship of the stitches between rows, just within each row (that can be said better, I'm sure)  I especially like that you have the written instruction right next to the diagram grid line.

What I see in knitting diagrams (and haven't seen in crochet ones, but doesn't mean they're not out there) is blacked-out grids, which means 'no stitch, ignore this spot'.  So your ball would be graphed using all the grids in the widest part of your square, but at the top and bottom you'd scatter black squares.  This would probably be more confusing (to a crocheter, for which this diagram technique is't common) as what you already have, though.  Like this, scroll down to the second chart http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-read-knitted-lace-charts.html

I do like the black spaces! I did have one diagram before this that did have the relationships more properly mapped up, but I must have done it wrong because it ended up looking like a bunch of triangles, which confused me a good bit before all was said and done. I may have to just break down and figure out how to make a spiral graph that isn't all lumpy and deformed.

Archived