Crochet circles-flexible discs

jiminic2

Question

I'm having a little trouble crocheting a flexible disc.  After 1 or 2 rounds the circle starts to curl.  Is it better to use a larger or smaller hook? Tight or loose stitches.  I'm not sure which way to go on this.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

3 answers to this question

If it's curling, yes, changing hook size can help that. Depending which way its curving whether you need to go up or down. 

Sounds like there might not be enough stitch increases on each row to keep it flat. Here's a handy link for a explanation. It works whether you are joining each row or not.

I'm surprised you can see a curl after just 2 rounds!

Part of the equation is your own personal tension, which includes stitch height.  A famous designer wrote about lifters (lifting  the initial loop of the stitch up loosely, making a tall stitch); riders (medium height stitches) and yankers (yanking the initial loop a bit, forming a shorter stitch).

If you make a circle whose outer edge is too short for its diameter, it will form a cup shape. You can fix this by making more stitches, or shorter stitches.

If you make a circle whose outer edge is to big for it's diameter, it will get ruffly.  You can fix this by making fewer stitches, or taller stitches.

So there are guidelines on how to make a flat circle, but you may need to make adjustments based on your personal stitch style.

Archived