Flowers in a Row... sort of!

jlaboss

Question

This is how I always begin, with problems!  This pattern isn't difficult which means I must be over thinking it.

THROW
With A and larger hook, ch 169.

Row 1 (Right Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each
ch across, changing to B in last sc; turn.

Row 2: With B, ch 3, skip first sc, * (dc, ch 1, dc) all in next
sc, skip next 2 sc; repeat from * to last 2 sts; (dc, ch 1, dc)
all in next sc, dc in last sc changing to C; turn.

This a free pattern from Red Heart and I'm having issues at the end of Row 2.  Easy peasy all the way across but I'm confused about the last 2 stitches.  When I complete my last (dc, ch, dc) I have 2 sc and the turning chain left.  This says to put another (dc, ch, dc) in the NEXT sc, then dc in the last stitch.... doesn't that bunch up the last two "V's" (for lack of a better description?).  

The whole row is (dc, ch1, dc) then skip two sc and repeat (dc, ch1, dc).  But at the end they want two of the (dc, ch1, dc) right next to each other, then a final dc before turning.  Am I missing something?

I suppose I could take the whole thing out and just start over, maybe my foundation chain is wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but this just sounds a little off to me.

Here is the link to the full pattern.

Thanks!
Jennifer

8 answers to this question

Hmmm... I see your point.  Something tells me I went awry along the way.  Which is par for the course!  So I do the (dc, ch1, dc), skip 2 sc, then I should have 2 sc left, I skip the next sc and dc in the last one.  Because it starts with a dc, skip one, then the (dc, ch1, dc) skip 2 sc all the way across.  This would finish it with a (dc, ch1, ch) skip one sc then the final dc.

I never start it right the first time!

Thanks for pointing that out to me!

Jennifer

Sorry but what you wrote is not quite right.  remember the pattern ends with "(dc, ch 1, dc)

all in next sc, dc in last sc changing to C;"   So when you have 2 sc left, you do a V in one and dc in the last one.  this last V is right up against the last dc of the row.  

In your post you said 2 different things:  "So I do the (dc, ch1, dc), skip 2 sc, then I should have 2 sc left, I skip the next sc and dc in the last one."  and "This would finish it with a (dc, ch1, ch) skip one sc then the final dc."    Neither of those is right.  

I think I'm going to start over and try again.  Sometimes that helps!

I was thinking the same thing, that if it starts with a ch3, skip sc, then the "V" stitch then it should end with a "V" stitch, skip sc, and final ch3 (equal to a dc just like in the beginning).

I did say two conflicting things, didn't I?  That's how confused I am!  Can anyone help me break down the math of this pattern?  In case I want to extend it or shorten it? (because I need more things to think about!)

Jennifer

when you start with a turning chain, that first stitch of previous row is actually what the tch is arising out of, the base of the tch so to speak.  you don't stitch in the first stitch because in a way the tch is already stitched into it.  if you make a turning ch that counts as a stitch--which this one does--- and then also make a stitch into the first sc of previous row, you will actually be increasing by 1 stitch.  

here is a reference http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/111.html

as it says "Usually, the turning chain at the beginning of the row, takes the place of the first stitch of the row. So, after working the turning chain, you will not work another stitch in the first stitch."

I hope this doesn't confuse things, but there are a couple of ways to get around chain 3, skip the first stitch in US DC.

One is to pull up a loop into that normally skipped first stitch, wrap the hook around the loop and make a fake DC.  This works, is hard to tell from a real DC but it takes a little practice. 

My favorite is to not chain, make a loose sc into the normally skipped first stitch, and chain 1 l.  This fills in the first stitch, resembles a DC more than ch-3, and solves another problem of the gap that often appears when you chain 3 and skip the first stitch. 

If you make one of these alternate DCs, you need to remember that they are taking the place of chain 3, skip the first stitch.  So if a DC pattern starts with 'chain 4', then you will have to do one of the above and chain 1, because the chain 4 = one DC and one chain.  Or, as Magiccrochetfan said above, if a pattern says 'ch 3, dc in first stitch', then you will have to add another DC into the first stitch because they are telling you to increase. 

Archived