Vintage crochet pattern

Shannon Hines Keef

Question

I'm considering purchasing a vintage dress pattern. I know that there are differences in sizing among other things from then to now. But I have a question about material. It says to crochet using ribbon. Is this comparable to the ribbon yarn we see now? Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for helping! I REALLY love the dress and it would be amazing to have the chance to create it!

post-72915-0-20363000-1411413982_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Oh wow, nice dress!  

It looks like it is from the very late 1950s/early 1960s.  It's hard for someone who lived through those years to think of it as vintage, but it's 50 or so years ago, so I suppose it is.

Ribbon nomenclature is the same, but I hope the pattern is specific to say '1/2 inch grosgrain' or '1/4 inch satin' or whatever.

I wasn't quite crocheting or knitting at that time, I'm not aware of 'ribbon yarn' existing then.  It strikes me that you are going to need miles of ribbon (seriously, many afghans take over a mile of yarn if you convert the required yardage); it's going to be quite expensive to reproduce this I suspect.

Edit, vintage measurement chart (scroll down)

http://www.chronicallyvintage.com/2013/01/vintage-clothing-sizing-101.html

I was afraid of that lol...buying enough organdy or satin ribbon would for sure be outrageously expensive. I may just buy the pattern and play around with other yarn/thread and see what I can create! I definitely don't want it to be too heavy. I plan to make it floor length and add some kind of sweeping train for a wedding dress....wondering if possibly size 3 crochet thread would work...

I'll have to give that some thought! I have just had my heart set on this look...changing it will be difficult. I do want to try to recreate in something affordable before giving in to a change in fabric. I will definitely buy the pattern and play with it to see what I can come up with! Thank you for the help! Anything else you can think of or any advice is always welcome! I'll be sure to post what I eventually create!

Wow, that is a stunning dress. Maybe once you see what kind of ribbon it actually calls for, you can find a comparable substitute. Good luck and hope to see what you create.

Roe

I purchased the patern with instant download and 1/4" organza ribbon will sub fine. I was able to find an online store where I can purchase the ribbon in bulk and it'll be around $50 so not too shabby! I have never crocheted with ribbon before so it'll be an adventure to be sure!

Someone did substitute caron simply soft yarn for the ribbon in a similar pattern using ribbon, and it turned out just gorgeous so if you find it troubling to work with the ribbon, you can play with yarn.

Archived