Acrylic Yarn Query

CrochetAddict85

Question

I have just picked up two balls of this:

14j7tol.jpg

I picked it up from my local pound shop and it's very thin, 

I own a 2.50mm hook (being my smallest) and a 5.50mm (being my largest)

I made a granny square with the smallest last night and its pretty tricky but I got there in the end to make my first small square for my blanket.

Has anyone else used this yarn before?

Also the packaging doesn't tell you what size yarn hook to use

I did a search for it on the internet and came up with this link:

http://bulkbuy.discount-wholesale.co.uk/search#w=hobbytime%20yarn

Yet it still doens't help you out with which crochet size hook to use

Could anyone possibly help?

7 answers to this question

If it's thin, it would be DK weight or thinner. Maybe it's a baby weight.

I tapped on the link and I didn't see anything in the yarn information that states the yarn weight or recommended hook.

When I just don't know about the hook size, I pick out one I think might be correct and try it. If it isn't right, I go up or down in sizes until it is right.

If you're not happy with the yarn weight, you can use 2 strands of yarn together, and a somewhat bigger hook.

Here is a link to a site that tells you how to tell the yarn weight by many wraps per inch it has (Sorry I'm going to speak inches here not mm).  Take a ruler that is marked with inches, and wrap the yarn around the ruler - not to tightly, with each strand closely next to each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight

Look up the wraps per inch in the above chart and it will tell you what weight the yarn is, also what range of sizes of knitting needles or crochet hooks work best.

That's a really big difference in your crochet hook size. It might be helpful to you go get one in the middle, a G or maybe an F, around 4 or 4.5 mm. There are a lot of yarns for which, depending on your tension and the pattern, your 5.5 might be too large and your 2.5 would definitely be too small. This would give you another good option when experimenting with new yarns. 

As for this yarn, like the others, I am not familiar with it.

Archived