Gauge swatch

Misty Lucas Cma

Question

Every time I make my "4x4" gauge swatch, it ends up being 3.5" tall and 4.5" wide. I'm curious what could be causing the swatch to not be square. I would think that it would be 4.5" square if it is too big and 3.5 square if it is too small.

3 answers to this question

the first thing to know is htat really your swatch should be larger than 4x4, like aboout 6x6, and then you measure the central 4x4.  this is because the edge sts can be a bit distorted.

A lot of people have row gauge that is different than their stitch gauge.  you can control the height of your stitches by the Golden Loop, see post 4 here by the late Jean Leinhauser http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/115175-gauge-trouble-is-it-just-me/

also your style of crocheting makes a difference http://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/

if you can get the recommended stitch gauge (# of sts per row) then in many patterns you can adjust the number of rows, to hit the size you need in the finished object.  

Don't feel like you are alone with this issue, it is something that most crocheters and knitters have to deal with!  

most crochet stitches tend to be taller than they are wide.  You should be getting more height than you seem to be getting.

The main point for any gauge swatch is that you want it to be larger than the 4 X 4 inches.  Are you just making a swatch based on what they tell you you need for gauge?

Ignore that information and just make a goodly sized sample of the stitch you will be using and then take your measurement from the middle of that.

I can't explain why you are getting your results - sorry 'bout that chief.

Pick up you yarn ball band,  If it has a row and height gauge recommendation, it probably shows fewer stitches across than rows up to make a square.  Example, Red Heart Super Saver 12sc x 15r = 4in(10cm) on size I9(5.5) hook

So, according to Red Heart's average, you need 25% more rows of sc stitches, than stitches across, to make a square.  I'm not sure how the math works for other stitches, but your numbers are in the ballpark of this ratio. 

You are probably a yanker like me (according to Doris Chan).

Archived