Crooked Mitered Square

yarn_monkey

Question

Help! Every time I do a mitered square it winds up looking like this. I'm using this pattern, which is in Russian but it has step-by-step pictures so it was easy to figure out, but for some reason I always wind up with a square that is not a square! Any ideas?? (And in case you were curious, this is the afghan I'm trying to replicate) I just can't figure out how to fix this issue for the life of me! And if I can't figure it out, I'll be scrapping this square and making a different rainbow-y afghan!

post-11765-0-73997700-1401479718_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

I wonder if your beginning ring is a little tight?  it looks like that might be pulling the first corner in too much.  Also I would do 3 chains for the turning chains, not 2 as the pattern shows.  I think that is pulling those bottom and right side edges tighter than they should be.  

the white and brown sections look nice and straight, but notice how the pale yellow section is not square?  things need to be loosened up so that initial corner can spread out and be square.  

Are you familiar with starting with an adjustable ring?  One of the nice things about them is that you can adjust the opening.  I've found that pulling one open can save a doily from ruffling, for example; or it's nice to pull them tight for the top of a hat.  In your case, you could try starting with the adjustable ring and pulling it open or closed to see if it makes a difference.  It can't hurt, and I think the slightly different construction will be hidden once you finish the border of the square.

Nice blanket pattern, it really does look 3D.

Most of the mitered squares I've seen start with a mini granny square (2 rounds - called a "saltine"). Maybe you could do the pale colors that way. It would change the look of the squares, but it could work. There's a book of crochet "quilt" blocks (don't know the exact name) with something like that in it. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Ellie 13

Archived