Baby washcloths

cristin~FL

Question

What type of yarn would work best for a baby washcloth?

And what would be a good size for a baby washcloth?

Any suggestions??? :D

My SIL is expecting her first and I want to make a few simple things for her.....

10 answers to this question

should I get some Bernat Cotton Tots? (I don't know if my LYS carries it???) I'm going to check it out. The Lily cotton yarn seems like it may be too rough for a baby?? :)

I'll make about two or three. I'm going to make the FCEC felted bag and load it up with baby stuff. I love Burt's Bees line of baby goods!! :)

Regular cotton is fine. It softens up with use; my kids prefer it, hands down, to regular washcloths. Cottontots is nice and soft, too, I think that would probably work.

I'd probably go for between 6 and 7 inches - remember cotton shrinks a touch, so you don't want to start them the size you want them to end up.

oh, yes. I wasn't thinking of the shrinkage!! Good thing you reminded me. She'd be scrubbing baby with little cotton ball sized washcloths!! LOL Maybe I'll do a practice one...I've made quite a few but they always go to others. :) I started one for myself -- weeks ago. I'll finish it up and give it a few good washings. I keep saying I'll make one for myself to take the place of my shower pouf too...hasn't happened yet.

A little bigger than the size of your hand, once you've accounted for shrinkage. You don't want too small. It may be for a baby, but the baby won't be washing himself. ;) CottonTots is incredibly soft even before washing, but even Sugar & Cream softens up nicely (don't have any washcloths made with it, but I've got some toddler clothes made with it). I've also made one out of MicroSpun that turned out pretty well, but cotton would still be my preference. Just don't give into the temptation to use anything fuzzy; lint from your washcloth isn't a good thing. (I've been eyeing some Baby Teri; it's hard not to use it.)

Yep. I decided to stay away form the Baby Teri too -- yes! i'ts VERY tempting!! I've been eyeing it as well!! -- and just stick with cotton. I have a little left over of some pastel green and a little bit of yellow. Also some red (the one I was making for myself- we'll see if I actually keep it....LOL) so I have enough cotton at home to make a few for her and still enough left for trial one for myself. Not that it's expensive to buy more......but my "need to buy" list is pretty long this month.

Thanks for your input ladies!! :)

I make all of my wash clothes and dish clothes with the 100% cotton. There are a few different brands, but all that I have used have been wonderful!!!

Being cotton, as the others have said, they do shrink some, so you need to make allowance for that.

These wash up and dry great and they last a long time! Definately a great and appreciated gift by all new moms!!!

You may be able to find it on-line: Cotton chenille. it is SOOO soft. makes good washcloths

Huh, I'd never thought to use cotton chenille for washcloths - doesn't it de-fuzz with repeated washings? It would definitely be nice and soft!!

Archived