First ever pattern, just learning, need some help

Aerianna Curtis

Question

Hello,

So I am completely new to this, Im making a crocodile stitch hooded cape, (probaby hard but Im a quick learner and why do something easy and be bored)

So I (kinda) understand that when my pattern tells me ch 177, that means Im to make 177 chains in the row correct?

Then the next instructions for row 1 are working from the wrong side v-stitch in 6th chain from hook (first 3 chains count as a double crochet), *skip next 2 chains, v-stitch in next chain, repeat from * across to last chain, double crochet in last chain; turn - (57 v stitchs & 2 double crochet)

Now am I to understand that I am to make 177 chains as my, Ill call it base row that Im working off of, and then my technical "row 1" in working from the wrong side and doing the row 1 instructions? And because I am doing a double crochet, is a chain just a basic loop or is that what a double crochet is?

Just wanted to say that I am trying crochet because I cant knit because of my hand and wrist, and was told Id be able to crochet quite easily ( guess thats once I understand) haha.

Thank you for any help you can give me :)

11 answers to this question

You made your foundation chain--177--then work back down the chain with your first "real" row of stitches--the v stitches. You might want to practice the different stitches in a small piece to get comfortable with making the stitches and with tension.

You made your foundation chain--177--then work back down the chain with your first "real" row of stitches--the v stitches. You might want to practice the different stitches in a small piece to get comfortable with making the stitches and with tension.

Thank you, Im discovering that with this first row, I keep undoing some of my loops because they are too tight and sometimes look squished. Just trying to get the good way to hold it all so it works for me I guess :)

Thank you, Im discovering that with this first row, I keep undoing some of my loops because they are too tight and sometimes look squished. Just trying to get the good way to hold it all so it works for me I guess :)

Try looking at some places on line for help. About crochet has a forum, and this one.

crochetcabana

Try looking at some places on line for help. About crochet has a forum, and this one.

crochetcabana

Thanks :) my aunt has said it just takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it. Hope I get the hang soon. I love making things for people. Its just another thing for me to make for christmas and birthdays :)

I really, really recommend that you make a little test swatch first before jumping into a project.

It's like you want to drive in a Nascar race but you've never sat in a car before.

From your question it seems that you are uncertain what a double crochet is.  You won't be bored, but you are going to be frustrated really fast if you don't understand the basics.  (I'm not scolding, I just don't want you to run away screaming!  :) )

Also, a practice swatch  (say, maybe across 20 stitches or so, make a few rows of sc and dc to start with, then a few rows of your pattern stitch) will not only familiarize yourself with the stitches, it will help you learn to make your tension more even.

The sites that Sarisue recommended are good, also there are some short videos here for basic stitches

http://www.anniescatalog.com/pages/stitchguide/index.html?cid=3

http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html

I really, really recommend that you make a little test swatch first before jumping into a project.

It's like you want to drive in a Nascar race but you've never sat in a car before.

From your question it seems that you are uncertain what a double crochet is.  You won't be bored, but you are going to be frustrated really fast if you don't understand the basics.  (I'm not scolding, I just don't want you to run away screaming!  :) )

Also, a practice swatch  (say, maybe across 20 stitches or so, make a few rows of sc and dc to start with, then a few rows of your pattern stitch) will not only familiarize yourself with the stitches, it will help you learn to make your tension more even.

The sites that Sarisue recommended are good, also there are some short videos here for basic stitches

http://www.anniescatalog.com/pages/stitchguide/index.html?cid=3

http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html

Thank you :) I did google some more and I have a very good grasp on making my foundation chain. Your right I dont quite understand the wording for this pattern, personally I think she couldve written it a bit better to make more sense. What I dont understand now is how can my first three chains count as a double crochet. Does that mean I need to do a double crochet on them and then do a v-stitch in the 6th chain from hook? The exact instructions are

- V-st in 6th ch from hook (first 3 ch count as a dc) -

Hi!  Welcome to the 'Ville!  I'm sure you'll find some much-needed help here!  I agree with all the others--you really MUST learn the basic stitches first!  I know you said you like to just jump in right away and do it, but there is quite a bit to understand about crochet!!  You need to learn tension, how to make each different stitch, and all the little tips and tricks for crochet!  The videos they suggested are excellent learning tools!

To answer your question about the turning chain--which shows why you should really learn the stitches first--the turning chain counts as the first dc because they bring the yarn up to the height of the dc stitch.  When they are to be counted as the first crochet, the pattern will tell you this. In this particular stitch that you sited--that means that the beginning chain 6 actually makes the first 2dc.

Wouldn't the beg to dc in 6 th chain then  be counted as a dc (the 3 ch) and then a ch 2 before the v stitch?

Yah, thats kinda what I figured out. It woulve made more sense if they had written no need to make a turning chain, which is the part that was confusing me. Im doing pretty good at my vs now. figured out they looked a little messed up if i hold my yarn a bit too tightly, so I think Ive found the perfect tension. Its looking pretty good for only my 3rd day of doing this, and it gives me much more hope and confidence that Ill be able to do this and Im actually seeing my work come together as Im doing it :) very excited to be doing this too :)

If I understood you correctly, you know how to knit - to expand a little on what Avon Lady explainded about turning chains:

Knit and purl stitches are all the same height.  When you turn in knitting, you don't have to do anything special.  Crochet stitches are taller than knit stitches, so you need little helper stitch(es) to turn.

SC:

Your foundation chain will be 1 more than the number of SC stitches you want to end up with, the first SC into the foundation chain is in the second chain from the hook.

Chain 1 at the end of the row to turn, and make your fist stitch into the last sc. 

Turning chain does not count as a stitch typically. 

DC: 

Your foundation chain will be 2 more than the number of SC stitches you want to end up with, the first DC into the foundation chain is in the 4th chain from the hook.

Ch 3 at the end of the row to turn, and make your fist stitch into the second stitch from the end.

Turning chain does count as a stitch--it 'takes the place' of the first DC in the new row, which is why you make your first real DC into the second stitch.

If a pattern doesn't specifically say whether a turning chain counts or not, assume the above - the exceptions are rare.

Normally a pattern will include the turning chains for the first row of actual stitches in the initial instruction to chain xx for the foundation chain.  So if it says chain xx, you don't add chains to turn--for the foundation row only.

Archived