TOTALLY new to crochet, could use some guidance

FirstFed

Question

Hi everybody! 

I just decided to learn how to crochet due to a spectacular winter we're having here in Antarctica...I mean New Jersey....and am losing my mind from being trapped inside. A few of my co workers are into crocheting and I've been watching them create adorable things for themselves (they're both expecting), and thought it would be a great thing to pick up to keep myself sane and keep my hands busy during this horrible winter!

I bought a book on Amazon called The happy Hooker as a beginner crochet book, which is extremely helpful. I'm going to make a trip to the craft store this weekend and was wondering if I could get any insight from anyone on what I should buy for my first trip. Is there any preference from anyone what type of hooks I should buy right off the bat, sizes to learn the best with, the best yarn to learn with and what to use? Any information would be greatly appreciated so that I have an idea of what I should be looking for when I go in there. 

Thank you in advance and I look forward to learning to crochet and being a part of this forum!!!

13 answers to this question

Welcome to the craft!  And the 'ville!

I would suggest, to start practicing with, to get a skein of something similar to Red Heart Super Saver.  Look at the label, doesn't have to be this brand but look for a symbol that looks like a little skein of yarn with a '4' in the middle.  The below link shows yarn sizes & that little size icon; '4', medium/worsted/aran weight is a good yarn to start with.  I only mentioned Red Heart because it is inexpensive, comes in lots of colors and is pretty easy to find.  I'd suggest a lighter, solid color to learn with- not necessarily pastel, but avoid black, navy blue, really dark colors & varigated to learn with -- they can make it harder to see your stitches well. 

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

You should be able to find hooks in packages of more than 1 - I suggest not just getting 1 hook, look for US sizes in the range of F-G-H-I-J-K, which will all work with worsted weight yarn.

Make practice swatches to start with, you will need some practice mileage with your yarn to learn the stitches and to make them even. 

Have fun and stay warm!

Thank you very much! I found this set of hooks ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKU9ZDW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2MDIV8MZ9V1IX )on Amazon for a starter kit, very inexpensive. Or would you recommend something of a better quality? The reviews on these are relatively good and they seem to come in a very good array of sizes. But I would have to find conversions as they're in mms not letters? 

I hope that link works, I'm not very computer savvy. Thank you for the tips!

If you have a craft store near you, like JoAnn's, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or AC Moore you can probably get a set with just the basic hooks she suggested at this point.  I'd wait before buying the complete set, because as you get more practice you may find you want to try different kinds of hooks with different handles or heads. (Bates and Boyd for instance have a slightly different head style.  Some people develop a preference for one over the other.)  For the thread hooks (the non-colored ones on that set you showed) I found I needed something with a bigger handle to master the thread and ended up with a complete set of thread hooks I bought that I have never used.

Hooks will usually give you a letter and a size regardless of brand.  I have a couple of old ones that were my great Aunt's that don't, but my modern brands will give you a letter and number measurement.

I suggest trying your local craft stores because most of them have coupons and they have sales on the lower end yarns pretty frequently.

After practicing some of the basic stitches, I started a friend off on dishcloths made from cotton yarn which you can also find at the craft store.  Lily is the brand I find most commonly around here.  I find they are great projects to practice your basic stitches and no matter what they look like when your done, you'll most likely still use them for cleaning.

I find a heavier (in weight) hook is easier for beginners to handle. I don't know why this should be, but they seem to have more control .

Although that may be because I teach and use the pencil hold as do most Australians. I don't even think we can buy the large handled ones here. The large handled ones, probably act in the same way.

That's hilarious - 'knitting needle weave yarn set'.  Those are crochet hooks, Amazon!!!  I would go for it, that is a fantastic price.  I am not familiar with that brand, but really, the only thing I can think of for a crochet hook set to be 'really awful' would be if it were really rough and snagged the yarn.

As you get more stitches under your, um, hook, you may find that you like another brand better, but honestly these would be great for a starter set.  I was given a set of 'Hero' brand hooks (not made any more) when I was starting out 40+  years ago, and still use them. 

edit - here is a hook size conversion chart.  Some brands vary a little, which shouldn't matter too much with most things if you make a gauge swatch if you need to end up with an exact measurement - http://www.karpstyles.com/crochet/hook-chart.html

Wow, what a great price for hooks! I would get them....if I didn't already have more multiples of sizes than I can use in a lifetime! I always leave my hook with the project, so multiples have come in handy.

As you can tell from that statement I always have more than one WIP going at once!

WIP (Work In Progress)

...another handy abbreviation: UFO (UnFinishedObject). That's a given around here...lol! We are enablers :)

Yup, those are the current furbabies! Lucy (on the left in my avatar) was only several months old at the time o fthe picture, and giving all of a run for our money! She'll be 3 years old in March and Sparkie turned 8 this past December. They're very attached to each other. Lucy is the 7th shepherd and 8th dog we've had. Our first dog was a Sheltie.

post-8552-0-27763500-1391556609_thumb.jpg

post-8552-0-67702700-1391556783_thumb.jpg

post-8552-0-84012700-1391556842_thumb.jpg

Your shephard fur babies are beautiful.  We have two shelties now.

i told hubby our old age dog (we're already mid and late 60's) when these guys go to the rainbow bridge will be a sheltie again. Can't picture our home without a dog.

On teh topic of hooks, I would recommend the Bates hooks. I started crocheting in Dec 2012 and bought Boye hooks because they were cheap.  I was very blessed and found a Bates hook in a skein of yarn I bought. I thought I would try it out and I love it. A Bates hook has a consistent diameter from the spot that you hold the hook, to the head of the hook, whereas a Boye hook is tapered at the head.I found the Bates is much smoother and doesn't get grippy after crocheting for hours. My favorite hook size to use is an H or I. I find that it fits the best in my hand. Too bad my Bates is a K. :( Good luck in your crocheting.  One thing I find helpful also is youtube videos. I am self taught and I don't have anyone around who can help me learn the more advanced stuff so Youtube has been a great help.

Archived