Does this dress look ok?

Haley Wolff

Question

Ok so it's my first time crocheting and I wanted to make my daughter a dress, I found a free pattern on YouTube and this is what I've made so far but it doesn't look right to me. Can anyone give me their opinion and will it look ok if I keep going the way I am? The skirt does not look the same as the pic in the video in my opinion. Any help would be great Thanks!

post-70488-0-63445600-1390957443_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

It's a YouTube video and she only mentions she uses Caron simply soft

Can you link to the video that might help to see what you did?

Have you checked your stitch count? I've not watched the video (do not have time at the moment) but did let it load just enough to see the dress shown at the beginning and paused it to take a look in comparison to yours, and it seems like you've got too many stitches. 

2 things: (1) the skirt is too full, and (2) the armholes are too small in proportion to the view of the dress, which could be the cause of (1).  Bigger armholes = fewer skirt stitches. 

I didn't watch the whole video either, just the first couple of minutes. I think videos are great for showing a stitch technique but not the best way to present a whole pattern.  It's harder to figure out where you might have gone wrong, as in your case (in my opinion).

Also, she doesn't give a size (at least at the beginning), so you don't know what you're going to end up with.

Here are some free patterns, the search is on 'baby dress' since I didn't know what size you needed.  The yoke style of your video pattern is very common, you will see a lot of similar ones here - maybe one of them will work for you.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#query=baby%20dress&craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&availability=free&sort=best

Archived