What stitches are involved in this blanket and how to's?

jpfisch

Question

I know the edges contain double crochet and double crochet with chains, but the shells and sideways crochet I have no idea how to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking to do something similar but not exactly this. Photo courtesy of etsy.

post-65029-0-83280800-1390797551.jpg

9 answers to this question

The pattern designer, HanJanCrafts, explains the stitch (not the pattern) on her blog. If you want the whole pattern, she has it available in US or UK crochet terms on her Etsy site.

How pretty.

It does look very similar! The dc's between the zigzags, and the border, are different, but, the same effect.

That looks very similar to a Leisure Arts pattern from the Birthstone Afghan book.  

I made this a few weeks ago - don't you think it looks the same?

attachicon.gifaquamarine_zpsf3934320.jpg

I am messing with the ditch from the blog, "It of course depends on the size of work you want to make but for example, a panel that measures 10 inches wide is as follows:

Foundation chain: Ch66

Foundation row: 1dc in 2nd ch from hook, 1dc in each st to end. (65st)

Row 1: 3ch, 1tr in next dc, (miss 2dc, 5tr in next dc, 2ch, miss 3dc, 1tr in each of next 5dc). Repeat () ending with 1tr in each of the last 2dc. (RS)

Row 2: 3ch, 1tr in next tr, (miss 2ch, 5tr in next tr, 2ch, miss 4tr, 1tr in each of next 5tr). Repeat () ending with 1tr in each of the last 2tr."

For anyone that has done this are the 5 straight double crochets (not all in the same stitch) supposed to line up exactly on top of each other or one stitch before as the rows build on top of each other. Also, are the 5 dc in one stitch on the first dc of the group or the chain stitch before it?

for reference, in the Harmony Guides this is called Block and offset shell stitch.  it is a pretty common stitch pattern.  

it is a multiple of 11+4 (and 3 for a turning chain.)

5 dc (or ch3 to turn, 4 dc), sk 2 ch, 5dc in next ch, sk 3 ch, ch 2, 5 dc.  on the next row you put the group of 5 dc into the first dc of the 5dc group on the previous row, ch 2.  

Archived