CONFUSED ABOUT PART OF THIS PATTERN

reg132

Question

I was wondering if someone could help me understand what this pattern is telling me to do in part #2 (UPPER BACK).  I'm not sure if it's saying connect to the completed yoke or just go around the piece I'm working on.

It's the Boy's and Girl's Bathrobe pattern originally published in Crochet World Magazine, Vol 21, No 1, Page 17.

appreciate any assistance given. :manyheart

17 answers to this question

Yes, I was just reading through it and thinking to myself, "Self, it sure would be nice to see the back of this bathrobe, if not a diagram!" LOL  Of course, it probably doesn't help that I haven't ever made any apparel items... :wink

Here's another picture. On the left is a simile of the front yoke done and then on the right  it shows how the back first row is done, and then it is attached with the chain to the foundation ch of the yoke.

post-10430-0-40742200-1390933434_thumb.jpg

post-10430-0-62099000-1390858572_thumb.jpg

I can't tell how  you did that. but I don't think so.

you should have one row of dc's and a ch that you attach to the front on the other side of the foundation ch like in my other picture.

Heres' another picture,  below the hook is where the front was attached, I only have one row there but it will be the front attached there  then you turn go across the dc's and the ch to the other side and keep going back and forth those rows as the pattern says.

Then  you will attach the yarn on the left side in the other side of the foundation ch to do the left front and after that meats the others you will start working around the bottom. 

Tried to show how just ignore chains as I didn't cut the yarn, this is just an example and not the actual numbers.

post-10430-0-63090100-1390841393_thumb.jpg

Row 1: With MC, ch 21 (23-25), dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each rem ch across to within last ch, 2 dc in last ch, ch 21 (23-25), with wrong side of Row 1 of right front yoke facing, working across opposite side of foundation ch, 2 dc in first ch, dc in each rem founda­ tion ch across, turn. (40 dc and 21 chs, 44 dc and 23 chs, 48 dc and 25 chs) 

When you do the first row of the left side of the back you end with  a ch that you attach to the yoke by dc's in the free loops of the opposite side of the foundation ch, so when you go back you will dc in those dc's then the ch you attached then the rest of the dc's of the back. 

with wrong side of Row 1 of right front yoke facing, working across opposite side of foundation ch, 2 dc in first ch, dc in each rem founda­ tion ch across, turn. (40 dc and 21 chs, 44 dc and 23 chs, 48 dc and 25 chs) 

Well this is going to be hard to explain but the way i read it is hold the front yoke with wrong side facing, and working in the other side of the foundation ch of it you will attach the ch you just did, with the hook in the last st where you stopped and 2dc in the first chain  of the other side of the foundation ch on the yoke, which will have the ch attached to  the yoke then dc across turn then for the next row you will be working in some dc and the ch then some more dc.

So Sarisue -for the next row you will be working in some dc and the ch then some more dc.- are there more CHs than the underside of the YOKE beginning CH?

That is sort of clever construction, you work the 1 yoke to the underarm, then work the back while attaching to the first yoke, then he left yoke completes the joining of the 3 pieces and continues the body past the arms to the hem.  Eliminates seaming.

It certainly could have been more clearly written, or maybe a quick sentence describing what was going on. A diagram would have helped.

One of my toddler dress patterns uses a similar construction and so many people had so much trouble visualising it, I had to work another and take photos of the stages of construction. 

That is sort of clever construction, you work the 1 yoke to the underarm, then work the back while attaching to the first yoke, then he left yoke completes the joining of the 3 pieces and continues the body past the arms to the hem.  Eliminates seaming.

It certainly could have been more clearly written, or maybe a quick sentence describing what was going on. A diagram would have helped.

with wrong side of Row 1 of right front yoke facing, working across opposite side of foundation ch, 2 dc in first ch, dc in each rem founda­ tion ch across, turn. (40 dc and 21 chs, 44 dc and 23 chs, 48 dc and 25 chs) 

Well this is going to be hard to explain but the way i read it is hold the front yoke with wrong side facing, and working in the other side of the foundation ch of it you will attach the ch you just did, with the hook in the last st where you stopped and 2dc in the first chain  of the other side of the foundation ch on the yoke, which will have the ch attached to  the yoke then dc across turn then for the next row you will be working in some dc and the ch then some more dc.

Ok so you have ended the right front yoke with a stitch count of (29-32-35) and then fastened off.  

so then you start on

UPPER BACK

Row 1: With MC, ch 21 (23-25), dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each rem ch across to within last ch, 2 dc in last ch, ch 21 (23-25), with wrong side of Row 1 of right front yoke facing, working across opposite side of foundation ch, 2 dc in first ch, dc in each rem founda­ tion ch across, turn. (40 dc and 21 chs, 44 dc and 23 chs, 48 dc and 25 chs) 

I'm gonna have to think about this and hopefully others will look at it meanwhile.  the part where you chain 21, 23, or 25 is confusing me!  Seems like it would have been easier to make separate pieces and sew it together.  

Reg132, we'd love to help with your problem, but you can't include copyrighted patterns in your post. I've had to remove the PDF file so we don't get in legal trouble with the publisher for copyright infringement.

I've edited your post above to give information about where the pattern was originally published. Hopefully, someone who has that issue of the magazine can help you.

Archived