Beginner suckered into a Pattern

BadDogIsis

Question

One of my good friends has suckered me into doing a project for her when she found out I was learning to crochet. The pattern is the Tardis from Doctor Who. Normally, I would buckle down and trudge though a problem but this has me stumped. I've never worked with a pattern AND I've never done double crochets.

"With blue, ch 118:
Row 1: dc in fourth chain from hook and each chain across, ch 2, turn (116 dc)"

Chain 118: Check, done, no problem. Now, row 1 double crochet in the fourth chain from the hook. Does that include the 2 that I put in for the turning chain? Or not? Do I chain 2 then count another 4 for 6 total to put my dc into? 

I've done this twice and while it looks right to my eyes when I count my stitches I'm always off. And not even a little off but 92 or 132. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just incapable of counting the double crochet and yes I do count out loud as I work. I don't want to continue on the pattern if I am in fact getting it wrong especially since it is only the beginning.

6 answers to this question

Mmmmmmm......................I don't know why they would say to work into the 4th chain when they are using a 2 chain turn. If you worked into the 3rd chain, you would have 116 dc (turning chain counts as a dc, which in the first row is the chain between the hook and the chain that you worked into). The turning chain at the end does not count on that row, it counts on the next row, which is a good reason I think for writing the turning chain at the beginning of the row, not the end of the previous row.

You may want to wait until Granny Square or Magic Crochet Fan comes along, as I have the foggy brain that that awful treatment gives you at the moment.

But even with my foggy brain, you should not be out as many stitches are you are. How about you put a stitch marker in every twenty stitches as you do them and then count them.

Hi BaddogIsis, welcome to the ville!

Hi Flossie Potts, sorry you are feling foggy, hope you feel better soon!

OK, Isis, the first thing you need to do is to contact your friend.  You must tell her that you cannot make this for her, that you do not yet know how to do all the stitches.  If she really wants it right away, advise her to learn to crochet and make it for herself.  Trust me on this, the ability to say 'no' to people who are willing to sucker you into making things for them is very important!!

in this pattern it is up to you how many turning chains to make.  on pg 1 it says "All stitches are dc except where otherwise specified. When working dc, at end of row ch 2 or 3 then turn. Ch 2 counts as first dc. "  Should say 2 or 3 counts as dc.  

Sandra Petit who wrote this pattern,, has a great website, http://www.crochetcabana.com  that is well worth exploring.  

I think you really need to practice your stitches until you are very comfortable with them and are able to count your beginning chain and your stitches and have them come out right.  If you are off by 1 or 2 sts you can fix that in the next row, but off by 10-20 you really can't fix.  

If there are any leftover unused chains in the beginning chain, you can unpick them at the end, so it is a good idea to make at least 10% extra chains to cover miscounting.  

Once you've had a chance to practice all this, then if you feel like making something for your pushy friend, you can let her know.  

I have to agree with Kathy (magiccrochetfan) on this - because if you allow anyone to put that kind of pressure on you, it could kill the fun aspect of crocheting... 

On another note, and I know you're just getting started and learning all the stitches... there is another way to make the foundation chain and first row of double crochet stitches... if you're interested in it (I have to say I really love this stitch!) here is a link with written instructions and a video...

http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-double-crochet-fdc/

Best of luck to you!!!

With blue, ch 118:

Row 1: dc in fourth chain from hook and each chain across, ch 2, turn (116 dc)"

Chain 118: Check, done, no problem. Now, row 1 double crochet in the fourth chain from the hook. Does that include the 2 that I put in for the turning chain? Or not? Do I chain 2 then count another 4 for 6 total to put my dc into?

If you actually want to do this - great.  If you honestly and truly feel 'suckered' you'll end up resenting it before you're even half way through.  I would work on something like a scarf first to get the basics down and to practice your tension.  Your tension is what makes your stitches neat and clean and look pretty.

If you do really want to do this I would suggest chaining about 125 because you can pick out the extra chains later and you don't want to come up short.

Most patterns write 'turn' at the end and then begin with the ch2 or ch3 for your first dc on the next row.  Either way it means the same thing.

Now that you've got the chain with extra chains done you can start working on Row 1 which is dcs.

It clearly says to place your first dc in the 4th chain from the hook.  The loop on the hook does not count.  The 3 chains previous to the first dc count as your very first dc and the one that you do in the 4th chain is actually the second.  You do the chains like that (the ones that pretend to be and are counted as the first dc) to 1) raise the hook to the correct height and 2) make the first dc.

So, this is when you get stitch markers or bobby pins or different colored peices of yarn.  Count 20 dcs and mark the stitch.  Count another 20 and mark the stitch.  This way you don't have to worry about losing count as you count the entire first row.  When you're absolutely sure that you have 116 dcs you are ready to move on to Row 2. 

you should have a little tail of chains at the end.  You can either pick them out now or do it later when you have to weave in your ends.  It really doesn't matter when you do it.

I agree with all of the above--excellent advice.  It's like your friend said, 'oh, I hear you know how to drive, will you buy me a car?'  Well not quite, but it's a big imposition.  A blanket is a huge project, a big outlay of material, and a lot of these stories end up badly.  I think a lot of non-crafters think that 1 skein of yarn will make a blanket so the cost is zip, and takes an everning or 2.  I hope the yarn for the project hasn't been purchased yet.

Rose Red gave a great explanation in her 3rd paragraph of why (assuming 3 chains =1 DC, is is pretty standard) you always chain 2 more than the end number of DC.  In 4 chains, you DC into the 4th chain, which leaves you with 1 'real' DC and the 3 unused chains which take the place of 1 DC - so, 2 DCs in 4 chains, 2 chains more than the # of DCs.

You said: Chain 118: Check, done, no problem. Now, row 1 double crochet in the fourth chain from the hook. Does that include the 2 that I put in for the turning chain?  The initial chain is 118, period.  You don't need to add more at the beginning to turn, that only happens at the end of a row.

Do I chain 2 then count another 4 for 6 total to put my dc into?  The only time that you will ever make a DC into the 4th chain of the hook, when working in a 100% nothing-but-DC pattern, is once - the very first stitch of the piece.  So once you have made that first DC, the next instruction is "dc ...(in)...each chain across, ch 2 (or 3), turn (116 dc)".  You are overthinking this.  Just do what it's telling you.  The reason you are off by dozens of stitches is that you are making a stitch in every 4th chain of the original 118, instead of every chain as it says.  You won't be needing to make another chain (after the first 118) until the very end of the row, for turning.

Wow! Friends are starting in already before you even know how to crochet! That's nerve! We've all had problems with people wanting the items we make, but she needs to let you learn first!

Archived