log cabin design using granny squares ?

WDW1958

Question

Well I just ordered the yarn to make my sister a Around the World throw for her sofa and then realized I have two more sisters to make something for ( Hope Christmas is slow coming this year lol ). So was looking at other designs and came upon the Log Cabin idea.

Has anyone here ever tried to make a blanket, throw or afghan like this ?  Just was wondering how many different colors to think of using. My one sister likes the colors burgundy and forest green and I would like to add a Oatmeal sort of color and black in this mix too.

Thanks for any suggestions. Greatly appreciated

8 answers to this question

:welcome   and Hi!  Here is a link to a granny square 'type' pattern.

http://crochetagain.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/mitered-granny-square/

Having made many afghans using small granny squares, I haven't tried a log cabin pattern.  You could use some graph paper and play with it.  There are so many variations of the pattern!  Have fun and let us know what you decide to do. :)

There are so many Log Cabin patterns out there and everyone has there own style. Maybe one of these sites will entice you with a pattern or idea. Each directs you to crochet log cabin afghans:

Red Heart     Lion Brand yarns     Ravelry

Reni, Lots of super ideas and over at Ravelry I have a lot of patterns marked off , now even more.  What I want to do is make individual granny squares and sew them into a log cabin design. So I have my graph paper out and am working on it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and will let you know how it goes with my hand at designing :)

Good wishes for a great design! Keep us posted.

Reni, Lots of super ideas and over at Ravelry I have a lot of patterns marked off , now even more.  What I want to do is make individual granny squares and sew them into a log cabin design. So I have my graph paper out and am working on it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and will let you know how it goes with my hand at designing :)

Just came across this tute that may give you some more ideas for your design: Granny Log Cabin.

I have one other in mind for ideas but, can't find it right now. I'll get back with you if I do.

ETA: Here it is! So modern and techy looking and the color schemes would be endless.

Thanks again Reni.  I just got the yarn to crochet my sister a lapghan for Christmas. In three shades of purple , and black. May put some blue in with it too. Going to try to make it in Around the World quilt design. Two other sisters to make one for too. Oh ideas ideas lol

Archived