Can you help me with this baby bonnet pattern? New to crocheting

keshoe

Question

I just learned to crochet and I have a baby girl and am having fun making hats for her and thought, what about a bonnet? Well, I found this old pattern online at grandmotherspatternbook.com and started it but got stuck on round 2 of all places. It reads:

Row 2— Work 2 D. C. in first space, * yarn over hook, insert hook in back of next D. C, draw up a loop, yarn over, draw up a loop in same place, yarn over, draw up a loop in same place, yarn over, draw through all loops on hook, chain 1, 2 D. C. in next space, repeat from * all around, having 16 puffs with 2 D. C. between each puff.

Does this mean chain 3? or work the back loop? or the post from the double crochet? or something entirely different?  I would appreciate any help in this as I would love to make this for my little girl.

Then row 3 reads:

Row 3 — 2 D. C. in centre of 2 D, C. and work puff around puff of preceding row.

I also don't know what "work puff around puff" means

Thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read this and I hope that someone out there can help me

9 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville :hook

I have to be honest and tell you that i would recommend you seek out a more current pattern because it will be much easier to use. Vintage patterns are not always written very clearly and this may not even be the whole pattern as it was originally published.

In your pattern, the puff stitch is the part from "*yarn over hook" to "draw thru all loops on hook". Then you chain one and make two dc in the next space.

I assume the mean for you to make the puff st n the back loop in row two.

In row three i am not sure what work puff around puff means. Hopefully once you get row two done, you will be able to see what to do. You place the two dc between the dc of the previous row.

One thing i always look for in a pattern is a good clear photo so i can see what the item is supposed to lok like, it often helps to figure out the pattern.

I found the original book on-line, it is copyright-free in US since it was published in 1916.

There is a (different) book on the Antique Pattern Library where the modern poster remarked that the labels for illustrations of 2 patterns were switched, I was wondering  if this is the case for this one. Because, where are the puff stitches? Those look like post stitches to me.

But, I can't find another hat in that book that looks like it has a post stitch.

Looking at Ravelry, someone made this pattern but didn't make any comments.  Maybe you could try it as a post stitch and see what happens??  It also makes round 3 'puff around puff' make more sense, since that's how you'd make a post stitch.

I also want to point out that the yarn called out is probably modern sock weight.  Since it doesn't give a gauge, it might be tough to tell if it's going to come out the right size.

Here's a pattern search for 'baby bonnet' on Ravelry, you have to sift thru a bit but there's some cute ones on there, some with matching sacques http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&page=1&query=baby%20bonnet&availability=free&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best

Hmm, I posted a couple hours ago but my post disappeared....weird.

GrannySquare, that is a cool find!  Looking at that illustration I wonder if it is a puff stitch, but done like a Post stitch.  That would make it look like the illustration and also fit with the instructions of puff around puff.  

Thank you so much for your insight, I have tried it first like magiccrochetfan suggested and there is a puff line and it looks cute but not like the picture. I am just playing around right now so am using what I have on hand right now with four ply and a size H hook just to see if I can even do it before I go find some smaller yarn and buy a size C hook. I think I will try what granny square suggested with a back post stitch and see if that works before I give up entirely. Thank you for the advice and the warnings about vintage patterns, I should know better than to start wit a difficult pattern for a second hat but I loved how it looks like pleats. I will definitely check out the other bonnet patterns. I will post pictures of what I do when I am done.

Thanks again

Archived