Working in the round

khourtniey

Question

I never chose patterns that are in the round cos on my joining rows I always have HUGE gaps where they are joined. (using sl st) The only time I dont get a gap when joining is if I use a sc to join. What am I doing wrong?

6 answers to this question

Hmmm, sometimes I have that problem too, when I am working on say a poncho. It looks like I added a stitch or it looks extremely uneven. I have also shyed away from working in a round because of it too. :think:shrug

The join stitch can often loosen up on you as you start to work the next stitch on the new round, this is what can cause the hole. To keep the gap from opening up, you need to pull and hold your working strand just a bit tighter while you work that next stitch, so it doesn't widen up on you, keeping the loop on your hook snug around the shank. Keep the tension for a few more stitches just to make sure everything doesn't start to loosen up as soon as you let it go (but don't hold it so tight it puckers your work!). It takes a bit of practice to do this, but should work once you get the hang of it. :hook

This may not necessarily work with all applications, but sometimes when working in the round I have found it helpful to pick up a loop from the "space" and incorporate it into the last stitch on that round. This works especially well when working in sc.

Archived