Newly Addicted

Hooker

I ordered a Babe spindle from Hello Yarn and it came with 8 oz. of dyed roving. I've been spinning like a madwoman and have navajo plyed my results. It turned out to be a seriously bulky yarn, but OH SO PRETTY.

I spun up about 4 oz of it so far and a little less than an ounce had to be scrapped (learning curve).

I'm thinking of making a hat or scarf with it, and being that I have NO idea how much yardage I have and will have (it's about 6 wpi) I might try knitting since it uses less yarn.

Here are a few pictures:

spun.jpg

spunclose.jpg

spunscale.jpg

great job. :) Spinning is most certainly addicting. Wait til you get a wheel....or two...then comes more fiber....then the drum carder....then....well....I am making my Christmas list ya'all...so I can use more ideas gggg

ooooh lovely :) i have to admit i'm learning to knit because of the tiny yardage of my handspun, i want to eke it out as far as humanly possible. how easy did you find navajo plying to get the hang of? do you have any good online sources? did you get lots of lumps and bumps? i think my singles are about fine enough to try navajo plying and have them still bend in the middle once i'm done.

You know, since I'm working on a spindle, I used the spin and park method. What I did was pull a few "chains" of the singles to a length that was workable, then spin. Once that was done, I wrapped it on the spindle and pulled a few more chains.

Hope this makes sense. If I get a spinning wheel for Christmas (fingers crossed), I'm hoping it would make plying easier and faster.

I can't remember where I saw the best tutorial. It may have been through www.icanspin.com they have some great tutorials.

Archived