So hard to slip stitch into top of chain 3

Lesley1978

Question

I am fairly new to all this crochet business and only been learning (myself through the net and books) and I am finding some parts quite difficult. I am making granny squares for practice and I always struggle when finishing off a find with getting my hook to go though the top of the chain 3. I understand that I need to put it under the 2 top bumps of the stitch so that th back bump is under my hook but I really struggle with it. My hook won't go through easily and it's really fiddly, then when I do get my hook through I really struggle to get it to come out easily again.

Please tell me it's just a case of practice makes perfect and I will get the hang of it. I would love to try a ripple blanket but the thought of trying to get my hook through every chain stitch like his along the foundation chain is really putting me off!

10 answers to this question

Is your chain stitch very tight?  It should not be hard to slip stitch into a chain.

There is a substitute for the chain3 at the beginnning of a row/round, the chainless dc http://www.ravelry.com/projects/TXCr1cket/chainless-starting-dc-stitch---updated

Where you are starting a new yarn you can use the standing dc http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/  scroll down a bit

Those will actually create a dc stitch and you just treat it like any other dc.  

It sounds like your chain is too tight.

The size of the loop of the chain should fit comfortably around the hook that you're using.  A lot of times, especially when first starting out, the tendency is to tighten the loop around the hook as it slides down the throat (the part that narrows from the shaft to the head) of the hook.  It should fit around the shaft (the fat part that is the length of the hook).

I agree with RoseRed, it sounds like the chain is too tight, which is common for beginners. I know I used to struggle with slipping into the top of a chain as well, because it was tight. Keep practicing, and try to be mindful of your tension and keep that top chain a little looser so that it will be easier to work into later on. 

Thanks for all of your replies!! I am determined to learn this skill and want to progress from granny squares but I will definitely try a little looser and see how I get on. I do use a bobby pin to slip through the chain so I know where I'm going xx

If you really can't get into that top loop because it's so tight, try this:  pull your hook out and insert a smaller hook. Use the smaller hook to get in the chain loop, yarn over, and pull it through the tight loop. Change back to your original hook.

You will use the smaller hook only to get into the tight loop, grab the yarn, and pull it through. Other than that, continue using your original hook, and practice making the third loop of each ch 3 a bit looser.

You will find it easier and easier once you have more practice. Just about everyone chains too tightly to begin with. If I am teaching someone, I keep repeating, let the hook do the hooking, don't try consciously to grab the yarn with the hook. If you are holding the hook correctly, it will hook the yarn without you trying to force it.

I just checked out the video to do the DC from the loop for a new row! I am so excited about it! I hate having to get the hook through the top of a chain three and I have been doing this for 20 years! It is still a pain! So I am going to try this new method on my new project! Thanks so much! @magicrochetfan for posting!  and to leslie1978 good luck!

I tried that new loopy no chain double crochet stitch, too!  I'll have to practice it a bit but it seems promising!!

I usually do a chain 1, single crochet into the stitch to give it a bit more bulk than a plain chain, and then just chain 1 loose stitch for my initial row start.  I find it easier to stitch into the loose chain than the top of a chain 3 (or chain 2) and the stitch as a whole is a bit thicker than a chain 3.  I like the look of the no chain dc, though!  :)

Archived