What to make sweater without a pattern

lovelyscrubs

Question

I am really bad at reading patterns and I saw Mrs Whos schematics to make a shrug and well I made about 4 already but I was thinking that I want to make a sweater but as I said me and patterns just dont get along .So I kinda followed her thing and came up with this.

make a gauge

measure a long sleeve shirt from tip to armpit

measure across chest divide by 2

measure around arm but divide by 2

measure length of shirt

now to begin the starting chain I would multipy gauge by the arm and just crochet until I get to the sleeve measurements. then I would make a chain as long as I want the shirt and keep going until I met the chest measurements.I plan to make four pieces then sew together but does this sound right and when i get to the seconfdpart how would i incorporate the length of the shirt to geta chain length,I hope I did not lose anyone because I am lost:think

10 answers to this question

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I read Patterns but they seem to make things harder than they really are.

How about making two rectangles the length you want by making a chain that would go from your waist or hip over the shoulder to waist or hip...then crochet back and forth any pattern you choose to your neck. Make 2...crochet up both sides leaving arm holes and down the back. Then crochet in the round for the arms ending at the wrists. Does this make sense? :eek It seems it would be much easier to do something like this. I'm going to try then I'll post a picture.

Linda Ü

i dont know I thought od doing that but i dont know how to work sleeves but how about this you try your way and I try my way we both post pics but remember to write down exactly waht you di and that we we can compare and see which way is easier I plan to start today:cheer

the arms I would crochet evening around the opening left after crocheting up the sides then decreasing as I got to the elbow to wrist. Just crochet two stitches together making them equally apart would make the arm smaller and smaller.

I'll write down everything that I do. :hook

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I read Patterns but they seem to make things harder than they really are.

How about making two rectangles the length you want by making a chain that would go from your waist or hip over the shoulder to waist or hip...then crochet back and forth any pattern you choose to your neck. Make 2...crochet up both sides leaving arm holes and down the back. Then crochet in the round for the arms ending at the wrists. Does this make sense? :eek It seems it would be much easier to do something like this. I'm going to try then I'll post a picture.

Linda Ü

I did exactly this for a lovely cardigan type sweater. 2 long rectangles double the length of shoulder to mid-hip by 20"?. Then sewed each rectangle together to create arm holes. Then joined the two sides down the back. Then I attached my yarn at the armhole sleeve and repeated my crochet pattern around, doing decrease every 3-4 rows to create a tapered sleeve. I don't have a picture, because I gave them as gifts, but it worked really well and easy. Think I even used an L hook for a lightweight feel. I then sewed ribbons on the front to tie it shut with.

I really like to make top-down sweaters (raglan, but a lot of "raglan" patterns start at the bottom, so don't know how accurate the term is). All you have to do is make one from a pattern and you'll totally get the concept. I made a baby cardigan as my first one. Easy peasy, and no seams.

Also, a book you might want to try to get from the library is Modular Crochet.

It tells how to make sweaters in 4 pieces.

that is exacty what I was trying to do but when I started it I started at one arm then I went down the lenght I wanted the sweater and I relized as I was doing that I did not need to make four pieces I actually was able to make the other arm.But my problem is #1 it came out too big #2 if i was to take my measurements How would I know what the starting chain would be? it looks preety good I only have the front piece down but I need to know waht my starting chain would be if me arm measure 6in around (have to divde by 2 because i will be making 2 pieces) and the lengh I want is 15in long how do you find the chain length??

Crochet fun....Thanks for those links they helped me quite a bit.

Crochet smart cat...I'd love to see that sweater you crocheted the same way my brain was thinking..hahaha I'm almost done with one half. I'm doing it in shells of green. I'll post a picture when I've completed it.

Linda :hook

Good luck to both of you! I can't wait to see pics. I am wanting to start making a wearable item also. The closest I have come is the sweater poncho. I plan on trying a vest or a bolero soon. Thanks for everyone that has simplified it for those of us that need a little simplifying!

Archived