Proud mom here

This is Hannah, my almost 11 year old.  She has been practicing chains off and on and is pretty good at Tunisian but struggled with "regular" stitches.  I showed her how to sc again tonight and she got it!  

post-27802-0-36326700-1386635373_thumb.jpg

She is a very literal thinker so when she saw a pattern for a sunglasses case in a kids crochet book she borrowed from the school library she never thought to use it for eyeglasses...that's not what its for.  Her 9 year old sister is the only one that doesnt wear glasses and regularly wears sunglasses so Hannah asked to make a case for her little sisters sunglasses.  She's working on a very basic single crochet piece of fabric that will be folded over, stitched closed and have a chain added as a strap.

Yay Hannah!  How sweet she wants to make something for little sis.  :manyheart

It's pretty normal here for the girls to try to make something for each other, especially close to Christmas.  Usually it's things they draw and/or color or create from paper but every so often they come across something else they want to try.  I am very blessed to have 4 girls as close as mine are.  We have our squabbles but they never last long.  At 15 1/2, almost 11, 9 1/2 and 8 1/2 the girls spend a ton of time together.

Good for her.  That is so cool.  She looks really intent on what she is doing..

Hannah has always been very detail oriented.  If its not worth putting every ounce of her concentration into, its not worth doing at all.  

You should be proud!  A good starter project too.  Keep encouraging her and pretty soon she will be hooked like the rest of us. 

She is already hooked.  She has been practicing her chains for a few years, just didnt have the coordination to manage the hook and yarn well enough to start into more stitches until recently.  

I have 4 girls all at different levels of crochet.  At 15 1/2, Shaylyn is confident in her ability with basic stitches and learning how to read patterns.  She's currently working on a ruffle scarf in Red Heart Sashay for one of her friends.  Hannah is next at just beginning to sc, but she also loves Tunisian.  Now that she has better tension control I cant wait to see what she does with that.  Christina, 9 1/2, is my lefty which makes it a challenge to teach her but we'll get there.  She and Makayla, 8 1/2, are still practicing their chains...and loving it!  On a normal afternoon I have at least one of the girls ask for a hook and yarn.

post-27802-0-72482300-1386686572_thumb.jpg Here's where Hannah left off last night.  10 rows in, 9 of them are her work.  A few lost stitches and some fudging left us with wonky ends, she's happy with it so we're just leaving it alone.  Im only helping with color changes and Im pretty sure she is going to pick that up soon and completely boot me out.

Archived