What's the best way to finish this?

JilliePop

Question

Hi All.

This year I'm crocheting snowflake ornaments for all of my students.  I'm using ILTY white sparkle.  They're turning out quite pretty, but they seem to curl in a bit.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to finish them, and need some help.

My first question is should I block them to make them lay more flat and make the lacy stitches stand out better?  If so, I'll have to "kill" the acrylic, and I've never done that before.  Any pointers so I don't melt them?

My second question is should I stiffen them?  If so, can you stiffen acrylic yarn?  Is it the same as stiffening cotton thread?  Again, I've never done that, so I would love some pointers if you have them.

My third question is should I do both?  I want the stitches to be a bit more defined, but I don't want the snowflakes to be too floppy. 

Thanks so much in advance!

10 answers to this question

you can block acrylic without killing it.  I believe it is possible to steam it gently, here is a blog post about steaming http://beadknitter.blogspot.com/2009/03/you-can-block-acrylic.html.  you could try just wetting them and pinning the points out, that can't hurt anything.  

You might look up the posts of jrnlyst here on Crochetville.  She has made thousands of snowflakes and has very good instructions on her posts.  I can't remember her blog addy.  Maybe someone here can help us there?

Ok.  I've done tons of research this morning on blocking acrylic, and here's what I've found.  You can block acrylic if you slightly murder it or full out kill it.  You do this with steam, and the amount of steam you use will determine how "dead" it is.  This method is permanent.  If you just wet the acrylic down and pin it, it will be blocked temporally, but it will spring back to it's original shape.  I thought about it some more, and my projects look better after they've been washed and dried in the drier, so I suppose the dryer slightly murders the acrylic...maybe I'll go this method, and see how the snowflakes turn out.  Any other suggestions are welcome.  I just really want the stitches to lay flat.  And I'm still not sure if I should stiffen them or not.  Again, suggestions?

But, blocking acrylic makes it limp(er) and floppy(er).  It might tame the curl, but you'd want it stiff(er) for a snowflake.

Really, cotton thread would be better.  You could use size # 3 - bigger than the usual doily stuff but a little smaller than the yarn you're using (I don't have a Hobby Lobby anywhere near, I assume it's worsted weight?).  You could starch it and block it nicely.

Yes, it's worsted weight.  I have about 40 snowflakes done already, and I really don't want to start over because I need to have 130 (I think) done within the next two weeks.   :cry   That's what I get for procrastinating!!  Anyway, do you think I can starch ww?  If so, how do you do it? Thanks for your help!

I don't think putting it in the dryer kills it.  The agitation from the washer and the spring that's put back in by the dryer lines the stitches up the way they should sit. 

When I did snowflakes in acrylic I used 1/2 elmers white glue and half water with some sparkles added on top. 

If you used a small enough hook - the acrylic will hold it's shape right out of the dryer.  If not - it'll need a stiffening agent to hold it up while it's hanging.  If there's dampness or humidity in the room - they'll get floppy without it.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I think I'm going to experiment with one by just pinning it to a blocking board, stiffening it with the glue/water mixture RoseRed suggested, and then see how it turns out.  Thanks again, everyone!

If you're going to do that - give the whole snowflake a good tug all the way around (a few times) to line the stitches up properly first and then let it rest for an hour so it'll spring back into size and shape.

Archived