Wood Hook Grabbing

ReniC

Question

I've been practicing stitches on a new Clover double-end J hook, but, they "grab" the yarn (for lack of better words) and make it feel squeaky. I don't crochet tight so I assume it's the wood. Any other remedy since I don't have any bees wax?

Forgot to mention, there aren't any snags on the hook, pretty smooth as a matter of fact.

11 answers to this question

I don't have many wooden hooks because I don't like how "grabby" they can be, even when they seem to be totally smooth. The couple I do have I lightly sanded with some super fine grit sand paper, then rubbed them with a (white) candle, then buffed them a bit with a soft cotton cloth. Things move much more smoothly after this! I still don't use them all that often but I imagine if you use them a lot, you might have to do some maintenance occasionally and rub them with the candle and buff with the cloth again. I think even though they can look and feel totally smooth, there may be tiny little rough spots that the fibers catch. 

I just LOVE wax paper.  I keep a piece in my little makeup bag that has my measuring tape, stitch markers, weaving needles, etc.  Any time the hook starts to grab or squeak - I just rub it down well with the wax paper and it glides beautifully.

I keep  a birthday cake candle in my little box of supplies, just a few gentle rubs and then rub it in with the warmth of my fingertips, Use a tissue to remove an extra if you think you have used to much.

I've always liquid floor wax, self shine, on my brand new wood or bamboo knitting needle sets I make from shish kabob skewers or dowels - use them for socks and mittens - it seals them nicely and I can't get a set of DP needles any cheaper than that... easy to replace if one breaks, too, but I always make extra... and in every size i can find skewers and thin dowels in. (glue a button on the end for single point)

Thanks for all the great tips! I have wax paper so will try that. I may have a candle around somewhere, not sure.

The 2 new hooks are bamboo. I never had this problem with my Brittany wood hooks. Wish me good results since I want to make a scarf with one for a Christmas gift. If all fails on me, I'll try the sanding and polishing. : )

That's the problem right there.  Bamboo is known for being a 'stickier' hook.  That's why it works so beautifully with super slick yarns.

I waxed and waxed my bamboo until it was nice and slick for working with regular acrylic yarns.  It can be doen.

Sometimes when my yarn seems to have some static electricity, I rub some lotion on my hands and it gets rid of the electricity.  As a by product, my hook will also get coated with the lotion and although I use aluminum hooks they seem to glide a little better.  I wonder how it work on wood.

Another thing that works is rubbing it on your scalp.  I always thought my Grandmother had an itchy head lol.  Turns out she was smoothing her hook.

Before anyone goes 'ewwwww!!!!!'  Don't most of us wash our stuff before we give it away and it's really no different than the oils on our hands.

Archived