help, first attempts

crochetbelle2010

Question

HI everyone

Newbie here, I have always admired crochet, my daughter has about 10 crochet blankets and will not go to sleep without them, I'm pregnant at the moment too so really want to try crochet and make some gorgeous things for the new baby.

I have attached pictures of my first attempts, I struggled at the end of each row to keep them in line, it was actually meant too be a square shape but each row seemed to get shorter and shorter, 

Please give me some tips on this and for making baby blankets

Thanks

post-68826-0-04935400-1381785528_thumb.jpgpost-68826-0-13962700-1381785912_thumb.jpgpost-68826-0-31757900-1381785967_thumb.jpgpost-68826-0-15140200-1381786005_thumb.jpg

post-68826-0-57682000-1381786088_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville and crochet!

I have a suggestion.  For learning to recognize your stitches, I think it would be better to stick to less 'busy' yarn like the pink/grey until you have the basics down pat.  Solid colors, or subtley varigated ones (like much pastel baby yarn) are a little better.

You are making a very common mistake for new crocheters.  It takes a bit of practice to recognize the first and last stitch in the row, many overlook it and the piece either loses (or gains) a stitch for each row.

Different stitches have different turning chains (turning chains bring the hook and yarn up to the level of the stitches in the next row) and the turning chain is treated differently.

Using UK crochet terms:

DC - turning chain is 1, and not treated as a stitch

TR - turning chain is 3, and IS treated as the first stitch in the row.  Because it's acting like the first stitch, you don't actually make a stitch into the first TR in the row below, you need to skip it.  If you TR into the first stitch, you will add an extra stitch.  When you reach the end of the row, the last stitch is made into the top of the chain 3 from the row below.

Taller stitches, like DTR and so on - same as TR but add a chain for each yarn over the hook at the begnning.

HTR - Can either ch-1 to turn and treat it like a DC, or ch-2 and treat it like a treble.

Another suggestion--use a stitch marker to mark the top chain of the turning chain.  You don't have to buy anything special, a bobby pin, safety pin, or sprung paper clip will work.  This way you won't miss it when you come back to it.

This site is in US terms, but it is has very clear tutorials

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

well, i echo what granny square said above, she is so knowledgable and is almost always on target with her replies!! I have nothing to add to that, except and probably not in this case, but tension plays a role too, I don't think that is the case here however, but might be coupled wtth the stitch problem....

The only thing I would add, is, mark your first stitch, be it double crochet or single crochet.  This way, you are sure where it is and I think you would have more of a square.  If needed, mark the first and last.

This is what I did, when I stated to crochet..

Thanks for all the replies, so when counting stitches the turning chain doesn't count with like the single crochet I have been trying?

Also say when making just a square blanket as example if the starting chain is 30 after the turning chain stitch will every stitch on every row have to be 30 stitches?

What's best method for a blanket? Single double or treble, not too sure. Thanks

Thanks Katy, I just try to remember when I was learning (back in the Dark Ages) and find a way to explain things that would have cleared up the question :idea  to my own newbie self . 

Crochetbelle, it sounds like you are familiar with US crochet terms versus UK, I used UK in my first note because I didn't want to confuse you.  Let me rephrase what I said above in both terms just to make certain & expland a little to include the # of chains --

for US SC (UK DC), the turning chain is 1 and does NOT count as a stitch.  Chain 1, turn, and US SC (UK DC) into every stitch in the row below.  If you want to make a thing of 30 stitches, chain 31 (1 will be the turning chain- so the rule is # of stitches in the piece, plus 1)

for US DC (UK TR)  the turning chain DOES count as a stitch, and because it takes the place of the first stitch in the new row skip the first stitch in the row below or you will increase your stitch count.  Chain 3, turn, skip the first stitch, US DC (UK TR) in all the stitches AND into the top of the chain-3 that was the first stitch in the row below.  If you want to make a thing of 30 stitches, chain 32 and US DC (UK TR) into the 4th chain from the hook (# of stitches in the piece, plus 2).  This forms the first 2 stitches of the row, the turning chain and a 'real' stitch.  (for US TR (UK DTR), chain 33 and stitch into the 5th chain from the hook, etc.

It's hard to say what is the 'best stitch', the 'best' is what gives the desired effect.  If you use the same yarn and hook, US SC (UK DC) will take longer to make, use a little more yarn, and be less drapey than US DC (UK TR) or taller stitches.    And these stitches are the building blocks of LOTS of pretty stitch patterns, the possibilities are endless!

Hope this helps, have fun!

Archived