Got a Question

BonnieCrochets

Question

I'm making a dollie (for the first time lol). I'm confused on this part of the pattern. It says:

Rnd 9) Ch 2, 3 dc cluster over next 3 sts, (ch 5, sc in next space) twice, ch 5; * 4 dc cluster over next 4 sts, (ch 5, sc in next space) twice, ch 5; repeat from * around; join with a slip st to the top of first cluster. 3 dc cluster: (Yo, insert hook in next dc, draw up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times, yo, draw through last 4 loops on hook to complete the stitch. 4 dc cluster: (Yo, insert hook in next dc, draw up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook) 4 times, yo, draw through last 5 loops on hook to complete the stitch.

My question is, at the beginning when it says to 3 dc cluster over the next 3 sts, what exactly do they mean by OVER? I hope I'm not being airheaded but i'm stumped lol

Thanks!

Bonnie

6 answers to this question

I'm making a dollie (for the first time lol). I'm confused on this part of the pattern. It says:

3 dc cluster: (Yo, insert hook in next dc, draw up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times, yo, draw through last 4 loops on hook to complete the stitch.

I would take it to mean work in the next 3 sts. If nothing else, just try it. If it doesn't look right you can always frog it. Do you at least have a picture to look at? I find sometimes that if I'm a little confused by the written directions, if I can look at a picture of what it's supposed to look like I can usually figure it out.

Hope that helps. :hook

You would do 1 dc in each of the stitches, leaving the last loop on the hook for each dc, then yarn over and draw through all your loops. This will form your cluster. Hope this makes sense.

3 dc cluster: (Yo, insert hook in next dc, draw up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times, yo, draw through last 4 loops on hook to complete the stitch.

It says to "(...insert hook in next dc...) 3 times"; so one 3 dc cluster is done in 3 stitches b/c you're inserting your hook into the next dc 3 times. So one 3dc cluster has to be done over 3 dc's.

Just thought that explaining it that way may help. You're not an airhead. Crochet patterns can be very confusing.

Do you have any patterns with diagrams? Older Crochet Fantasy issues had them, Magic Crochet and decorative Crochet have them as well. When I first started crocheting this was the greatest help. I find looking at the diagram simple, written instructions often are so confusing and more errors than the drawing. I still perfer diagram pattern.......I'm lazy, less brain work.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Usually the pattern will have special stitches used in the very front to show you what the stitch looks like. With this cluster you should have 4 loops on your hook after you go thru those 3 dc's then Yarn Over and pull thru all 4 loops. VOILA! cluster.

Congrats on starting your 1st doily. I hope you become as addicted as I am OR MORE!!!! :D

Archived