What does a pattern mean when it says "do not turn"?

beans_etc

Question

I'm still fairly new to crochet, and I'm working on making my first crochet doll.  I've gotten as far as making the legs of the doll, but I've run into something I don't understand on the pattern and was hoping someone could explain/show me what it means.

Ch 5.

1st rnd: 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook.  1 sc in each of the 2 ch.  3 sc in last ch.  Do not turn.  Working in rem loops of foundation ch, 1 sc in each of next 2 ch.  2 sc in last ch.  Join with sl st to first sc. 10 sc.

What "remaining loops" is it referring to?  I've already gone through all of the loops in my original foundation chain, so I'm not sure where to go now. . .  :x

7 answers to this question

pivot the piece around and crochet into the other edge of the initial chain.  UYou are making an oval shape.  i think if you do a search here for the word oval you will see some informative posts on how this works.  

By "other edge" do you mean the back/front loops of the chain?  Should I not be crocheting into both loops already on my first pass. . .?  I thought I was told originally that unless the pattern tells you otherwise, to always go through both loops in a chain.

There are 3 ways that I know of for stitching into a chain-for the first row 

o-into the top loop only

o-into the top 2 loops

o-into the 'back bump' loop

All of them leave at least 1 free loop.  You will want to use the loop or loops of the chain that you didn't use before; your original row of stitches will be underneath and upside down from this new row, which is becoming a round at this point.

When I work into the starting chain I usually work into the top of the chain, not the side as I do with all the rest of my stitches.  As someone stated above, I only use one side of the original chain stich.  This generally leaves me with "the other side" of the stitch when I need to create an oval as some of the ami patterns require.

I learned top-of-the-chain too, hadn't heard of the other 2 until the Internet.  I also found really old crochet manuals (from the 1800s) teaching top loop as well.

The only trouble is that the bottom is more of a braid than a chain, so it might be (slightly) harder for a new crocheter to recognize where to put the hook when working the second half of the oval from the chain.  If your first pass uses the top 2 loops, there's no question where the 1 remaining loop is.

Archived