Needing ruffle edging pattern

jlvking

Question

I have been working on a blanket while my 10-year old  daughter has been in the hospital. (Well, actually I've been working on several projects as we've been here a little over 3 weeks now.) The blanket I am working on now is ready for it's edging and I want it to be a ruffle. I don't have access to my patterns or books (We are staying at the hospital or RMH) and I'm hoping someone can suggest their favorite ruffle patterns. Nothing really ornate as it's a bunch of two-toned granny squares, but I would like it to be about 2-3 inches wide. 

I appreciate the help - my brain is frazzled! :ty

6 answers to this question

Does the ruffle have to be that wide?

You could maybe do 4ch, 4 triple crochet into the first stitch, 2 ch, skip one stitch, 5 triple crochet into next, 2ch, skip next, 5 triple into next, all around, not forgetting to make twice as many in the corners, then next round, just triple crochet in each stitch.

Try it out on a small piece and see how it looks. The first round will give you a ruffle and the next round should just make it wider.

It would take far too much yarn to keep doing the increasing ruffle (not to mention the time) on every round.

I have only ever done it with dc, but I can't see why it would not work with triples, to get more width.

Alternatively, you could do as many rounds of dc until you get it to the width you like and then do the 5 triples 2ch skip 1, on the very edge.

The ballerina doll in my av, is done using this method, but in dc and two rounds of the ruffle, but it is very thick, that is why it stands out from her body.

Thank you all... I will see if I need to add to make wider. I was thinking that wide to balance out the look but it may not need it.  :ty

Afghaniac (I love the name! And I feel a kinship. :yes ) Thank you for the wishes for my daughter. We still have some unanswered questions but may get to go home tomorrow. There is a point where getting out of here and finishing recuperation at home is a good thing so you don't pick up anything else! And she has home nursing so they should be able to manage things.

Thank you all... I will see if I need to add to make wider. I was thinking that wide to balance out the look but it may not need it.  :ty

Afghaniac (I love the name! And I feel a kinship. :yes ) Thank you for the wishes for my daughter. We still have some unanswered questions but may get to go home tomorrow. There is a point where getting out of here and finishing recuperation at home is a good thing so you don't pick up anything else! And she has home nursing so they should be able to manage things.

I just noticed that you're from E. Tenn. and wondering if you're in Bristol. I lived there as a toddler during WW II, and have great memories of a year boarding at Virginia Intermont College a long, long time ago whe it had a high school. My mom was from SW Va.

Afghaniac - no, not quite Bristol. Just south of Knoxville.

We are finally out of the hospital. Hoping to finish the ruffle in the next few days. Thank you all.

Archived