Does anybody like to make granny squares

Rusty's Mom

Question

Hi everybody!

Does anybody like to make granny squares? I like to.  There are my favorite thing to crochet.  I have made many afghans using this pattern. Mama taught me the granny square back in 60s when she taught me to crochet. After I learned it, I developed what I call a formula for crocheting an afghan. First, I decided on the main color that I'm going to use. Then I decide on colors to go with the first color. For example, say I decide to crochet an granny square afghan using blue as one of the colors. The other two (I always use three colors and a border color) colors are medium blue and light blue.  The border would be either cream or white so the formula is three colors and one color for the border. This works out to three skeins for each color and three for the border.  Since I always buy an extra skein of each color, I would have 4 skeins of each color and 4 for the border. 

I used to choose black for the border, but black is too hard to see for me now and so I now choose a light to medium color for the border. 

Do any of you like to make granny squares? Do you make them into afghans? Are they for you or do you give them as gifts? Do you use the basic granny square or do you use a variation of the granny square? What else have you made using granny squares?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks for reading this.

Jeannie

11 answers to this question

Yes I do the occasional granny square.

Yes it was the first thing I taught myself to crochet when I deconstructed one my Aunt crochet me as a child.  I was 9years old.

I've made granny square's then crocheted them into bags and afghans, and I've made small lap blankets from one single granny square.

I've made the traditional granny square and the more complicated fancy granny squares.

I've made them for my home, friends, family, charity and for sale.

​I dearly love making granny squares!  I teach a crochet class at our local Senior Center, and we make 35" X 35" afghans for several veterans' hospitals--and send them many afghans made of just one large granny square!  Of course, we also make other granny square afghans of smaller squares.  We use up donated yarn this way.  We also sell our afghans at Crafts Shows, to make money to buy more yarn!!  I've used granny squares of all sizes and colors joined together to make purses, vests, skirts, place mats, etc.  While I usually make the standard pattern, I do have a Sampler Granny Square afghan started for our local county fair.  I've only been working on it in my spare time, so it's taking FOREVER!!!

Granny Squares were the first thing I learned more than 30 years ago.  My mom STILL has the first afghan i made - green verigated grannys edged in white.  I am currently using all my odds and ends yarn to make them with the intent of having a scrap afghan.

I love granny squares! They tend to get a bad rap, but there are so many gorgeous variations and I love the look of the good old basic granny square too. They're a great way to use up leftover bits of yarn that aren't really enough to do anything with on their own but there's still too much for it to truly be "scrap" that could be tossed. I've made afghans and baby blankets of course, but also some purses, coasters, and wash cloths. And possibly my favorite: hats! I love granny square hats, they're SO fun, quick, and simple! 

I use a granny pattern that my greatgrandmother taughrt me when I was very young(before I started

school). She called it an around the world granny. Its made completely of leftover yarns. I have made

hundreds of them in the last sixty years. Its my favorite pattern! I can do it in my sleep.

Hi!
I've made more GSs than I can remember!!! Different sizes, too...quilt-look ones arranged into a design to look like sewn quilts, you name it! They're great stash busters, too, esp if you're like me and enjoy making random designs for pet blankets, etc.

I'm also a huge fan of the classic granny square. It's the first thing I ever learned to crochet, when I was very young, before I even learned how to work in straight rows! I often make giant granny square blankets for pets, you know the sort of thing, start with a granny square then just keep expanding row by row in the same fashion until you reach the right sort of size.

I also learned to make a rectangular granny square a couple of years ago, where you start with a chain rather than a ring, if that makes any sense. I made a rather fetching scarf that way.

Archived