my afghan design....flat circle starts to ruffle slightly

melindascrochetbits

Question

I really need some help here. I have tried to figure it out but don't seem to be having much luck.

I am designing a round blanket....sorry for lack of info.

Everything goes very well up until Round 14 and then I notice that it starts to ruffle a little bit around the outside. I have doubled checked to make sure my stitch count  is right and it is.

I am currently on Round 22 working double crochet stitches.

If I lay it on my bed and gently smooth it out, no tugging or pulling, I lays flat. I am a tight crochet so I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.

I am currently using a H crochet hook. Maybe I should go to a smaller hook?

What am I doing wrong and how do I troubleshoot to fix it?

Thanks in advance for all if any help that you can give.

6 answers to this question

Did you switch yarn brands/colors around that 14th row?  It could be the new yarn is just a bit thicker than the previous rows and that bulk may be just enough to make the ruffling begin. If you are using different brands of yarn, even tho they all say "worsted", you may find a size variation on the yarn that could cause this ruffle.

I notice if my hands get aching and tired, I tend to work looser, and it will make my doilies ruffle if I'm not paying attention to it. Sometimes I don't notice it until I begin working the next day and I can see that the rows I did late last night are quite a bit looser than the first rows I do today in the morning... I've learned the hard way to quit while I'm ahead, before my hands get tired and sore, because I always end up ripping back those rows the next day.... You said you tend to crochet tight- do you always work it tight or does it loosen up along the way?? That may make a difference, too.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Sometimes it helps me to read something in order for me to realize i knew that.

I did sew in the ends  after every round and not sure yet if I am going to cut out the messed up part and continue...again or just start over.

But I will be applying all the advice you gave me into the next  practice piece.

Thanks again!

Ruffling means the circumference is too big for the diameter.  You can reduce the circumference by reducing # of the stitches, or increase the height of the stitches (or even throw in an extra round with no increases) to increase diameter.  Sometimes for a doily where it wouldn't be too noticeable I'll add a round substituting triples for doubles, for example.  Or, if you start with an adjustable loop with a lot of stitches in it, loosen up the loop if you don't mind a hole in the middle.

Being a tight crocheter could be part of the probem, if you pull the stitch so it is shorter than usual you'll lose a bit of diameter.

Archived