I need your eyes

mudpie

Question

If any of you have seen the 12 point star round baby afghan on page 63 of the new Mary Maxim catalog I'd like to ask you a question. I've made many of these ghans, but I especially love the color combination in their photo. It is made with 2 strands of sport weight yarn. One color seems to blend into the next color, no real definition. Does it look to you like after a few rows of one color, they have dropped one strand of the first color and picked up one strand of the second color and crocheted that for a couple of rows, then dropped the second strand of the first color and picked up the second strand of the second color, and so on? Or do you think that the yarns are just so pastel that they blend so well? Here's a link to the photo if you don't have the catalog: http://www.marymaxim.com/Default.asp

9 answers to this question

I thought I was seeing things. It looked like the painted doilies that I made.:think

In that you use 3 strands of sewing thread. As you get ready to change colors, you slowly drop on stand of original color and add one strand of the next thread. This way it blends in the change, rather than a this color stopped and the next color started. I think it gives a nice flow from one color to another.:hook

I'm not so familiar with the painted doilies, but it very much reminds me of an afghan I have using that technique, that my mother made me. I've thought that every single time I get a new catalog and see the picture, lol.

I just watched an episode on DIY's Knit one Purl two where the host taught a way to blend colors in a baby afghan. She knitted with 2 strands of the same color for X rows, then dropped one strand and picked up one strand of the new color and knit for 4 rows. Then started using both strands of the same color. I love the way the colors cascade/blend together. :manyheart

Robin, I may have done it badly, but that's what I was trying to describe. I think I'm going to give it a try. Well, since I already have so many WIPs and WIMs it's just going to have to be on "the list".

That is exactly what it looks like to me too...I right clicked and saved the picture on my computer for reference and then enlarged it...Megs is the one who just made the afghan, so you might check with her to see if that is the way it is done, but I am pretty sure it is! It appears to be 2 rounds of solid color followed by two rounds of blended color, 2 rounds of solid color, etc. I think the center may be 3-4 rounds of white. That is on my to-do list for my grand-neice/nephew who is on the way, so I haven't really studied the picture in depth, but that is what I gathered from just a quick look...

Laurie:hook

Archived