Button or Zipper on a crochet purse..?

ncmurray512

Question

Thanks everyone. The buttonhole was easier than I thought. I just did ch1 and skipped the next st. then continued on. the button is about an inch long but it's not round..kinda like a tootsie roll shape(sorry can't think what you really call it).Fits perfect!!

Thanks everyone!

Natalie

I'm wondering if there are any ideas for sewing a zipper in a crocheted purse or how to make a buttonhole in crochet.

I'm wanting to make a purse about 6"w x 8"t and I want to have a flap with a button closure or maybe a zipper under the flap. I'm going to make it one piece using hdc and fold and sew the sides. then finish the edge with a sc border.

Any know how to do a zipper or the button hole?

Thanks in advance,

Natalie

6 answers to this question

I would think you could just hand sew the zipper in once you finished the purse.

For the buttonhole, you need to chain the width of the button, and then skip that many stitches on the row below, and then just continue hdc ,then the next row, you would hdc that many stitches in the chain space and keep going. Hope that makes sense.

Another way to do the button is to just use the existing hdc or dc as a button hole. The sweater I just finished did it this way. The buttons I got are just a smidgen to small though, so I figured I would go back and sew the dc closed a bit to make it tighter. A suggestion if you use the ch method, is make the chain a little on the small side, as anything crocheted will stretch over time.

I just crocheted a purse with a flip over top and I used a button. It turned out pretty cool. I crocheted a little flower, nothing fancy then I sewed a little button onto the purse about where the top flap fplds over. My flower hangs off the edge of the flap so the flower lines up with the button. Here is a pic.

Hope you can see it ok and I hope this pic is not too big. :think

161.jpg

I like to make my own crocheted buttons so that the purse is entirely crocheted. I make my buttons by chaining 3 and joining to form a loop. Then I single crochet like crazy into it. When I fill the first round I just continue crocheting over the singlecrochets I've already made almost likey they weren't there. This way your button widens and thickens and has some body. I know this isn't a new idea...but I don't think people use it enough! lol

Archived