Formula for measuring rectangle

Avon Lady

Question

I hope I'm in the right forum!  Does anyone remember a post that explained how to figure out how long to make a chain for a rectangular piece that goes around the beginning chain.  It was something like "subtract the desired length from the desired width, and that will be how long you want to make your starting chain in the middle".  Does this even make sense to anyone out there?!!

8 answers to this question

Thanks. This is information I've wished I had. I don't particularly like large rectangular grannies, but they would be easy charity lapghans. I might like to try one with a "brick" look as well. 

To help you rember this, and why it works - assuming your stitch pattern is the same, you are adding the same measurement to the top, bottom, left and right side of the starting chain for each round.  So it will always be (in RoseRed's example) 2' longer than wide.  This works for ovals, too.

Ya know - when you're only 6 inches into it it looks like you're making a big mistake cuz it's 2 1/2 feet long and only 6 inches wide. lol

For 3x4 lapghans I usually make the starting chain a foot long.

Archived