Pattern with no starting chain-HELP

dragonlady

Question

5 answers to this question

That's fine enough to be #10 cotton thread and the 1.75 mm hook seems to reinforce that.

You could save and try to blow up the picture and count how many dcs there are across the front, add a couple for the top of the hanger and double it.  It would have to work out to an even number for the between rounds (dc, ch1)

If you go halfway down this page http://www.craftideas.us/c/tutorial/page/3 you'll find the original post that has a link to leave a reply.  i looked around the website and can't find any other way to contact her.

I think it is probably size 10 thread.  I can zoom in on the picture enough to pretty well count the dc sts in the yoke, so i think you could come pretty close.  I think the spaces are more like chain2 than chain1, maybe even ch3 toward the bottom.

You could try to find a pattern with a round yoke that you like, it's a very common construction, then just use the lace from this pattern for the skirt.  

Looking at the way the instructions are written, it is very much in the "European style".  Except for the lines which sell extensively into the US market - their patterns assume certain basic knowledge - quite different from the US norm.

It may be that it is using Euro Terms, so that their DC is our TC and so on - that will be clear after you work your swatch. 

It appears to be constructed from the bottom up, so the measurement you will need to start is the bottom edge. 

Then you will need to use the Stitch Symbol Chart provided to determine the number of sc needed to make each repeat - 

You will need at least a small inpattern swatch to determine your gauge and the STI of each repeat.

The simplest way may might be to find a dress with a similar shape, worked bottom up and use that to approximate how many sc will be needed to make the base row. 

Making up numbers easy to use in my head,

Let's say the "similar pattern" has a lower edge of 100 stitches, and that pattern says it should measure 36 inches in legnth/perimeter. .

Your swatch shows that your gauge is one repeat is 3 inches, so you will need 12 repeats, 

Multiple the number of stitches in each repeat times 12,  add 10% to be sure you have enough when you join the edges, 

What concerns me and it may be that I just did a quick glance - is the instructions do not seem to have decreases. 

Again it may just be that they are assuming you will know how to decrease to make rounded yoke. 

A cute pattern, but I am not sure the pattern is going to be all that helpful in recreating it.

That is a gorgeous dress. I sure wish the pattern included more details. I haven't made many clothes and don't think I could venture out on this one, but it's sure tempting. Keep us posted on your progress if you try it.

Archived