double crochet confusion

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what I have to do with a pattern, in fact, with just the double crochet rows and such in general. I thought I had been doing them right all along but, apparently, I haven't been lol. ok, I make a turning chain of three like so

ooo

now, for this pattern I have to count the chain, which isn't the issue but, what is causing the issue is the starting location for the next stitch

Do I start it like this, with the x representing the place to start the stitch,

ooox

or like this, with the big x representing where I start the next stitch

oooxX

this is what is confusing me and I have searched everywhere to figure it out...all of the videos on it go way too fast and the ones that are a little slower, don't really explain it too well. If anyone could help me with this, that would be awesome and I thank everyone that answers and comments ^-^

11 answers to this question

I'm sorry, I don't really understand your x and o illustration.  

When you are doing your double crochet (dc) stitch into the foundation chain, you will make the first dc into the 4th chain from the hook.  this leaves the first 3 chains as the turning chain.  

When you have a row of stitches that you are working into, make your 3 turning chains, and then make the first dc into the NEXT stitch of the row below.  the first stitch of the row below matches up to the turning chain.  so make the dc into the second stitch of the row below.  

Crochetcabana has a description of this http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/basicstitches.html#double

and you might find the video helpful (I have not watched it so i can't speak for it)  

I'm sorry, I don't really understand your x and o illustration.  

When you are doing your double crochet (dc) stitch into the foundation chain, you will make the first dc into the 4th chain from the hook.  this leaves the first 3 chains as the turning chain.  

When you have a row of stitches that you are working into, make your 3 turning chains, and then make the first dc into the NEXT stitch of the row below.  the first stitch of the row below matches up to the turning chain.  so make the dc into the second stitch of the row below.  

Crochetcabana has a description of this http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/basicstitches.html#double

and you might find the video helpful (I have not watched it so i can't speak for it)  

so then what you are saying is that you would start in, like if it were a chain for example, the 5th one from the hook right?....I'm so confused @.@ then next stitch into the next stitch thing is really confusing me lol

No, not the 5th chain...like i said above, make the dc into the 4th chain from the hook.  

Did you watch the Crochetcabana video?  

Here is an explanation on Nexstitch, skip the part about "garment turning" as it does not apply to what you're doing.  Look at the "blanket turning part".  http://www.nexstitch.com/a_turning.html  see how the turning chain arises out of a stitch?  you do not want to place a stitch into that stitch.  go to the next stitch.  count the stitches in each row, see how how there are 10?  if you dc into the first stitch of the row below (the one the turning chain arises out of), you will be adding a stitch and have 11 stitches in the row.  

No, not the 5th chain...like i said above, make the dc into the 4th chain from the hook.  

Did you watch the Crochetcabana video?  

Here is an explanation on Nexstitch, skip the part about "garment turning" as it does not apply to what you're doing.  Look at the "blanket turning part".  http://www.nexstitch.com/a_turning.html  see how the turning chain arises out of a stitch?  you do not want to place a stitch into that stitch.  go to the next stitch.  count the stitches in each row, see how how there are 10?  if you dc into the first stitch of the row below (the one the turning chain arises out of), you will be adding a stitch and have 11 stitches in the row.  

I watched the clip, and it was helpful, i tried it out, the little pictures are of a bit more help. I know it's not in the chain, but the little V's are what usually help me remember where to go in lol ^^; i know, like I said, I'm weird like that. Thank you so very much for you help...I know I can be a pain in the ass to help lol. Though...now after doing that, I'm stuck with a stitch left at the back...I'm wondering if that is the slipstitch I made and I just skip it...^^; 

Though I will definately remember this for the next time I need help with anything lol. Thank you again ^-^

if you have an extra stitch, do just skip it...that is, if your stitch count is correct without it.  

There is a lot of good info on Nexstitch and Crochetcabana so you might want to bookmark them.  

You are more than welcome for any help I can offer :hook

The ch3 is the turning chain.  It also pretends to be the first dc of the row.

The ch3 sits on top of the very first st of the row beneath (which was the very last st until you turned your work).

You work your dc into the 2nd st of the row you're working into because the ch3 sits above the first st and pretends it's a dc.

Clear as chocolate milk, right?

if you have an extra stitch, do just skip it...that is, if your stitch count is correct without it.  

There is a lot of good info on Nexstitch and Crochetcabana so you might want to bookmark them.  

You are more than welcome for any help I can offer :hook

I thank you for the help that you have given me and all the other times you have given it lol. You are right, I wandered around those sites for a bit and i was amazed at the stuff they have on there lol. I bookmarked them for sure ^-^

The ch3 is the turning chain.  It also pretends to be the first dc of the row.

The ch3 sits on top of the very first st of the row beneath (which was the very last st until you turned your work).

You work your dc into the 2nd st of the row you're working into because the ch3 sits above the first st and pretends it's a dc.

Clear as chocolate milk, right?

umm....not really...^^; I'm sorry, it's kind of hard for me to grasp stuff like that without visuals or on the rare occasion, someone getting down to my thought level. Numbers give me a HUGE problem lol and if they are worded just right, they can confuse the crap out of me, even if hardly any are used, but, I do think I have it now, and I still thank you very much for taking the time to help me and answer me question ^-^.

It might help you if you put a stitch marker into the top of the turning/beginning 3ch, so that you will know that it is a stitch. You will then see it as the last stitch when you get a few rows up and work into it. Keep thinking of that 3 chain which does not have an obvious v like the other stitch as just another stitch that just looks a bit different.

Archived