Sewing Buttons On A Purse

popeyesgirl

Question

Hi All,

I have a quick question on sewing buttons

If you are making a flap, or want something to close and the pattern says chain 2, skip 2 spaces and then continue with your pattern, you have a little hole for your button,

How do you know what size button to use,

What is the best way to measure it...

I use a stitch market to note where the button will go, but i'm not having luck...

I made a kindle holder, with a button, but I think i used the wrong size button, i thought i measured correctly, but it doesn't stay closed....

I don't finish my patterns until i have buttons done and then i pull out my work and re do it, or i cut the button off and re do that....can you save me any time...

Thanks again...

5 answers to this question

If you made the buttonhole too big, you could take a length of your yarn, 'un ply' it so you have a thinner yarn to work with, thread it into a tapestry needle and make a couple of discreet stitches in the corners of your buttonhole to close it up a bit.  Sometimes one needs to do this even when measured correctly, because they can stretch out.

I try to make the button holes around the exact button I'm planning to use. It's hard to find a button to fit later on, unless you fiddle with it as suggested above. Sometimes I've used thread, too, to pinch in the stitches if the hole is too big. If you can work the holes around the button, it will save you a lot of time later on.

When I'm doing baby things, I keep little round or heart shaped buttons nearby and keep trying them as I work the holes, making sure they will fit, then I mark it with a pin and move on. I give it to the new Mom with all buttons buttoned, so she knows there are little button holes there.... heaven only knows if she ever finds them again, but there are usually enough "spaces" to make new ones.

Buttons are expensive to buy, remember you can easily make them. There are directions for them in the 'Villes free pattern section and you can make a nice neat professional looking matching button by wrapping your matching yarn over one of those round white stitch marker rings, use your yarn needle and thread it in and out, it looks nice when you're done and depending on the ring size you can make a button to fit any need for little cost. If it's more of a decorative button, try making chain2, and 6 scs with a small hook, it will make a nice tight button.

I've made them. too, with little one inch pieces of angle cut twigs from my dogwood tree, cross wrapped with ecru #10 crochet thread and then tied on my purse by the leftover thread, by using a tiny hook on the underside.. I got as many compliments on the unusual buttons as I did on the purse, I never told anyone they took me 5 minutes and I made them on my way out the door on my way to the party... for free... out of a tree branch.

You might want to try this little "stick" for your Kindle, they fit in any size loop and they are easy to make... cute, too! (try it first to make sure it works)

I usually make my own yarn buttons with 7 sc in Rnd 1. I work a 2nd rnd if I need a bigger button and gather the sts underneath it.

Thanks for all your advice

As for making buttons, yes i can , they look nice, but when i sew them on, they get too flat (still working on this problem).

I think i may try some stick buttons....

Also, i got a whole bunch of buttons at a garage sale really cheap....I also save buttons off of old shirts (i just wash and dry the buttons to make sure they are clean).  Why throw away buttons when it's the shirt that's old...A friend told me she went to a thrift store, and she saw this extra long shirt with about 20-25 buttons.  The buttons were really nice....almost like a mother-of-pearl  pattern.....The shirt looked a little worn....but for $1 she got really nice buttons...She told me...and it's a good motto...don't buy something for what it is made for...buy it for what you can use it for.....

Thanks again.....

Popeye's girl

also...i just did something to the size of the font...sorry...

Archived