So very very discouraged on batman afghan for grandson

MamawNaNa

Question

I have worked so hard to figure out how to crochet this batman afghan. A  lady gave me the graph and the graph chartshe had created. It is all black and yellow with many many color changes at times. After ripping out multiple times the 1st 17 rows, I get to row 19. each row is 200 stitches...this row only 146 are listed. I contacted the lady who told me after looking at the pattern to rip it out, and that she needed to notify others because now that I notified her she reviewed it and found multiple errors.  I was soooo excited, and so was Noah, I don't have money to pay for a pattern. I do have the graph though. She told me to use 2 for each block. I tried printing it out and it smears...cheapest printer u can buy is prob why. I am not sure. Anyway, I am looking at it and thinking even the 1st row was not correct. how can someone do that to people. It is small blocks, 100x, i can bar;ey see them, don't want to waste another 50 hours + on nothing?  How in the world can I make a pattern? I was struggling with the 8 color changes, but now....just sooooo discouraged. makes me just want to toss everything in the river, well not really. Any suggestions. I need to get out of this funk.

9 answers to this question

Well, how does your grandson feel about Spiderman? And what colors of yarn do you have from the Batman project? There's a really cute free pattern for a Spiderman afghan that is available just by googling. Very simple, but effective -- I made one for my GS a few years ago. It uses red, blue, and black yarn. No charting. Just a web, kind of like a round ripple.

I'm confused on a couple of things.

If you are working from a graph, how can there be errors?  I mean, if it looks like some squares should be color A not color B to your eye, you could perhaps re-color them.  Is the graph in color, or is it black and white with symbols to represent colors?  If the latter, ick, you might have to color them in somehow.

2 stitches for each block does not make sense.  What stitch are you using?  SC is most common, and graphs are usually 1 st = 1 square on the graph.  If you used 2, your picture would be distorted.

Crochet graph grids are square.  Knitting graph squares are rectangular, and will not work with crochet--knit stitches are shorter.  This can't be fixed by crocheting each row twice to make the color blip taller, because it will just distort in the other direction.

As far as it printing out tiny, do you have any program into which you could import the graph, and either blow it up on 1 page or maybe blow it up even more & print it in pieces & tape back together?  If it's a pdf, you could do a printscreen of the chart page and paste  into another program to do the blowing-up--do a crop to remove everything around the graph so you can fill up the page with just graph not extra stuff.

Granny Square, I don't understand what you are even asking me, I have never used nor seen anything like this until today so have no clue how it can be wrong. What I was working from os what I have shown above. I have no programs etc., do have a printer.

Nancy, His heart is set on batman, I am hoping to later make also a spiderman for my youngest grandson.   The yarn I have is just black and yellow only.  It is of the symbol or signal or something like that. I posted the link to it.

You answered one of my questions, the one I was contemplating would be "ick".  Her pattern is not a chart, just a count of stitches in the span of colors in a row.  It's not uncommon for a chart to be a real chart, just a picture divided into squares colored differently and you do the counting yourself.  Stitch count patterns are prone to errors, charts not so much (you can see the mistake).

If I was determined to make this, I'd get some graph paper and turn the words into a real chart.  Since there's only 2 colors, just put an "x" for the black stitches.  You will be able to see where the errors are, use a pencil and eraser if necessary to straghten out any errors.

Since this pattern is symmetrical, (I would) just plot half of it.  If it's an odd number, plot half the stitches + 1 for the center stitch.  You'd follow each row one way, then back again when stitching - this is not an uncommon way to show patterns for filet doilies and such.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here. The Batman character and logo are the intellectual property (copyright, trademark, trade dress) of DC Comics. Because of this, and to prevent any issues related to infringement for Crochetville and our members, our guidelines unfortunately do not allow unlicensed distribution of such patterns.

I greatly appreciate the caring spirit of the member who offered to make a graph pattern. That spirit of sharing and helpfulness is what Crochetville is all about.

The only way we could allow distribution of a Batman graph to be distributed through Crochetville is if the person who made the graph talked with DC Comics' legal/licensing department and obtained permission to make and distribute the graph. In that case the graph designer would have to post a public statement they had all the proper permissions in place to absolve Crochetville of any legal liability.

DC Comics may have a fan art policy in place that would allow for legal distribution of FREE graphs/patterns. For someone who would like to make graph patterns for their comic characters, it might be worth getting in touch with their licensing department. I would LOVE to have a legal source of patterns to offer to crocheters!

Well just delete the post then and I am sorry.. but for the record, I never ever said a a member gave me the patten/graph, it was from 2 places. I referred to the person...as a "lady", and she was not a member here, well at least as far as I know she isn't..

I'd like to clarify what has happened here.

MamawNaNa is correct; she did not ask someone to create a pattern for her. Another member made an offer to make a pattern for her. I had to remove the post offering to make a graph due to potential infringement issues.

MamawNaNa also did not post a link to an unlicensed pattern. She posted a link to a photo of someone else's afghan on another website. That post also contained details from the pattern graph she obtained. That post was removed due to potential infringement issues with the pattern being posted.

Many members use an online program called KnitPro to generate personal pattern charts for photos they upload to the site.

Archived