Blocking

Abigail1280

Question

I just wanted to get some input on how you block and what sort of surface you block on.   I've read of blocking boars, and I was just wondering if you use one, where you got it from, or what have you improvised to create your own.  Thanks in advance :)

3 answers to this question

For small items I use a 24" plywood board, glued on 4 cork squares, then covered it with a clear tablecloth/cover. For large items such as afghans, I pin a plastic tablecloth on my spa top then pin to that (don't laugh). The pin holes disappear when pins are removed. If it is too cold outside for the large items, I lay down a small tablecloth on the guest bed or carpeted floor and pin to that, then spritz with filtered water and leave to dry.

If I am starching small thread items, such as bookmarks, or snowflakes, I just use a ceiling tile covered with waxed paper.  You can get single ones at a building supply store for a minimum cost--either 12" square, 24" square.  Straight pins are easy to push into the tiles.  I always use RH yarn or some other acrylic yarn when I make afghans, and such, so there is no need to block those.

Archived