recycled cd crocheted coaster

popeyesgirl

Question

I have some questions about making a coaster using a recycled cd/dvd...

1) How do you wash them

2) Do you think they are sturdy enough for a very large mug.

3) Do you think they can handle heat...if so..

3a...can they be used as a hot plate (not for out-of-oven, but lets say...for your mr. coffee pot)

I'm thinking about making one, but are they really useful?

We have a bunch of cd's that just don't work in our cd burner and i would like to make something useful with them instead of throwing them away.

Thanks a bunch...

6 answers to this question

I did a bunch of these and use them for my coffee mugs and they work fine and I have had no issues.  Have not had to clean them so can't say but I used the regular cotton yarn you use for dishclothes.  Just  made 2 circles then joined them with the CD inside is all i did.  Mary

I did the smiley face ones where you glue the felt dots and smile onto the coaster.  If the mug or glass  gets condensation or spills, the glue will get wet and show.  Other than that - they're great.

so how useful they will be depends on how hot the pot.  But you already knew that.  

You should have no problem hand wishing, towel and lay flat to dry.

Use the same common sense you would apply to the yarn.  Acrylic melts so no, don't

Another use is a purse or other container base.  Or a toss toy for a toddler

For something hotter than a coffee pot or a mug, I have used a heavy feltable wool yarn and hand felting techniques (NOT WASHING MACHINE)

For "design" purposes, you can wrap to form a color wheel.

I would not be too concerned about the effect of washing, so long as you don't go back and try to use them in the computer. 

They have also been used, in the various fiber crafts as hand held kumihimo/braiding disks, the base of a drop spindle, my uncles had made wind chimes - hangs them around his garden to startle birds. 

Guess it is really only limited by your imagination.

You can find two nice CD trivet patterns by Priscilla Hewitt on ravelry.com. If you're not a member of ravelry, it's easy to join -- or you can just google the pattern, which is free. I made a couple of them several years ago, and found them easy to crochet. It's a good way to recycle. i would definitely use cotton yarn, unless you're going to put very hot food on them. IMHO, cotton looks nicer for mats anyway.

I use acrylic yarn trivits under the coffee pot without a problem.

Soup right off the stove - that melts them.  (guess how I learned that?)

If you're really concerned - there's some awesome colors in cotton yarns.  Then you don't have to worry about them melting at all.  Just make sure that whatever you make is thick enough for the heat that goes on it.  I've found that 2 strands of kitchen cotton is more than enough for a soup pot.

Archived