gauge help pls

Snowbaby

Question

What would your advice be to correct this please?

When I crochet a swatch to test my gauge, my sts are not tall enough, i.e. I need to make 17 DC and 8 rows per 10cm square, but my 8 rows are 9c m tall.

I could use a bigger hook, however, my 17 sts are 10.5cm long so using a bigger hook to make the height correct will make the swatch to wide.

This is really frustrating me

9 answers to this question

What is it that you're making?  Gauge is less important for some thing and critical to others.  Is it possible to use a different stitch to make up the height difference?

I haven't tried the golden loop method but I think it would be a pain to make an entire something out of a stitch that doesn't flow naturally.  But then again - after a while of doing it - it just might.

Depending on what it is - could you use a stitch one size up from what it calls for?  Like using a hdc instead of a sc or an edc instead of a dc?  That's going to depend on what it is.

Its squares for a blanket.

I get The Art Of Crochet magazine delivered and each edition has a ball of wool and instructions to make a square which you set aside to make a blanket with once you collect them all.

It comes with the yarn and 4mm hook. Each square needs to measure 13x13cm when finished so I'm adjusting each square's pattern to make 13x13 rather than trying to get the gauge as I've been trying to do these for months now and have nearly 30 editions if the mag but thus far, no squares as I've been so annoyed with the gauge! The blanket will be for me so not overly important that is perfect I guess!

Archived