how to figure out a stitch count and how to exactly measure.

ash_bunn

Question

I made up a hat pattern and I really love it and I just did it without counting the stitches i just guessed and it came out perfect (not sure how haha) but i was wondering how do you actually find out the stitich count so i can make it in bigger sizes? also how do i get the measurments of a hat? do i fold it in half and measure it and multiply by 2?

4 answers to this question

It may be I am not understanding your question or terminology correctly, so please forgive me if this is less than helpful but your note raises some questions.

I think you mean you made a hat, without use of someone else's pattern.  

1. Your goal is this initial model/sample  to make a pattern that can be used by others.

2.  Once you have the pattern written for this "base model" you want to "size" it, apparently with the initial model/sample as the smallest.

3.  It maybe you are also asking how to determine a "repeat" since you mention "stitch count" although that could be length for starting chain.

4. You are also asking how to measure a finished hat so that you can assign a size that fits standard body measurements..

Have I missed or are there other goals you included?

Most hats (watchman, beanie or cloche styles) can be made to fit precisely by following this formula, scoll down bout half way until you see a circle cut in half http://crochetcabana.com/html/round_hat.html

The key measurements are the circumference of your head, and the distance from crown to brim that you want.

If you have an existing hat that fits perfectly, fold it in half -- measuring crown to brim is easy - to get the circumference, measure the brim and divide by 2 as you said - measure the inside of the stitches, not the outside of the hat.  Let's say that measures 10", which is pretty average; since the hat was folded, the circumference is 20".  A cloche style hat starts with a flat circle of a certain diameter and then is worked even.  The key to making another hat that fits, in any stitch pattern, is to divide 20" by pi (3.14) and make the flat circle the  resulting measurement, which is about 6 2/3" in this example.

It doesn't matter what size yarn or hook you are using, or stitch count.  If you know how to make a flat circle, and have an existing fitting hat or the wearer's measurements, you can follow the above recipe and make a hat that fits.  The site of the link I gave you also explains the 'recipe' of how to make a flat circle.

what i mean by stitch count is the pattern needs to have a certain number of stitches for a set. for example: a shell stitch in a sc skip 2 st then shell st in next sc around. the pattern that i created has so many stitches skips 2 then one stitch skip one  stitch and skip 2.  repeat. so how do i figure out the stitch count so it is even at the end of the row each time.

As I suspected <G> number 3.

First you need to determine the "repeat"

Using standard abbreviations, write out each stitch in the motif.

Now put a chain under each (just a circle)

keeping it simple,  let' say your repeat is: 5 sc followed by 5 dc

to visualize, next put a row of ch under so you can see the number of stitches in the base for that row, 

ROW 1: 

sc  sc  sc  sc  dc dc dc dc  

0    0    0    0   0   0   0   0  

you now know that a full repeat requires EIGHT chains in the row beneath, either starting chain OR working row

Now repeat this "row by row"  - it is really easier to do (especially decreases) usuing symbols, but can be done with "words" abbreviations only. 

So instructions for ROW 2  would start with your choice of Turning Chain, and might look something like this (I am using 8 for the tc for purposes of this illustration  - you will decide at the end of each row how many you wish to instruct your reader to make

NOTICE I am "drawing UP"  - your written instructions will need to be written DOWN

If you are working in the round, you will also need to create instructions on the joining method you choose

But this is somewhat like a flat piece should look in your draft  (sorry this looks a little wonky, I find that graph paper with large squares handy for this kind of reverse engineering. )

r3 <=  sc sc sc sc  dc dc dc  8

0  0    0   0    0   0   0   0 

r2 =>  8 sc  sc  sc  dc dc dc dc 

0  0    0   0    0   0   0   0 

r1 <= sc sc  sc sc   dc dc dc  8

base   0   0    0   0    0   0   0   0 

So let's say that the total number of stitches at the band portion of the hat is 88 stitches. 

You will write some thing like "turning chain, DC in next 3 stitches, [sc in next 4 stitches, dc in next 4 stitches] repeat 9 times, sc in next 4 stitches, dc in next 3, Turning chain,

many find it helpful to include the stitch count for the row at the end of each row.

Turning chain counts as 1st sc of next row, etc.

If you plan to write patterns in the future, you may want to take some time and begin learning symbols, because it is a bunch easier to draw more complex stitch repeats - especially when you need to show INC and DEC with symbols for any motif.  You will find a basic list of Crochet Symbols at Yarn Standards - when you get into more advanced stitches, you will want to look at what other current authors have been using based on the Japanese standard since it is most universally available to all pattern authors.

Incidentally, the CYC yarn standards domain has other resources for the budding pattern author as well, because its voluntary standards are what today's crocheter will most easily find for basic information = including standard sizing.

If your stitch pattern is not evenly divisible, you will need to choose either to adjust the base count (sometimes easiest in the round) or work out how to make the edges "work out" evenly - which may require adding base stitches.

Kim Guzman covers this concept very neatly in her new book Tunisian Crochet Stitch Guide which includes a scarf pattern and instructions on how to "fit" a stitch motif into the scarf.  Although using Tunisian Crochet, the principles are the same.  

Hope this helps

Archived