Anybody heard of Patons Metallic?

VikingRunnerGirl

That was all the label said on the skeins I found at Michaels: Patons Metallic (as far as name, it had all the usual yarn type markings with it). I can't find any info on the Patons website, either current or discontinued. I've found exactly one site on the internet claiming to sell it, but the pictures they have don't look like the ones they have at Michael's.

This is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for for a certain project, except I need gold and they didn't have gold!! Does ANYBODY know anything about this yarn? Anyone heard of it? It can't possibly be that my local Michael's just spontaneously generated this yarn on their shelves, but from the look of the Google so far that's what happened!

Help?  :think

I was tooling through Michael's yarn aisles yesterday and discovered this new, metallic yarn.  It is shiny in the store, but when I got it home and saw it in the sun, well, it looks just like liquid silver (I got that color, but there are other beautiful colors as well including a bronzy gold).  The other thing is this yarn is SOFT, not scratchy like a lot of metallic yarns.  

I could tell it had just been put in the bins and wanted it so much that I even bought it WITHOUT a coupon, pretty much unheard of for me.  :-)  I may go back today and buy a bunch more, but with trusty coupon in hand this time. 

I went ahead and attached a couple pictures.  The first is taken on a bay window with light, but not direct sun.  The other was in front of another window where the sun was shining in.  

Well, time to go to Michael's today maybe?  

post-57694-0-95861100-1363532024_thumb.jpg

post-57694-0-02918000-1363532059_thumb.jpg

Thanks, guys! I'm glad I'm not crazy after all! :lol

TeaTrekkie, that sounds EXACTLY like my experience! Except I didn't buy any last night (though if they'd had gold I totally would have!); I had the silver in my hand to almost buy but was like, what would I really do with this? So I put it back... FOR NOW!

It would be great if it really is a brand new yarn, because I have been *wondering* why nobody was making a nice soft worsted weight metallic yarn! I should write to Patons and tell them how awesome it is and that they should keep making it forever. I hope more places start carrying it!

I was at Michael's yesterday, but didn't notice it. It would have been perfect for the trim on the Wisemen in the nativity I'm working on, too. I just want to add a bit of glitz to them.

how much is it?

$5.99 and it was on an 'end cap'.  There's a 40% off coupon this week for one item or 15% off today (for a couple hours) for total purchase.  

Thanks! I get their emails with the coupons so I'll get back there soon to pick some up, not today, tho.

I have to finish up these baby things I'm working on first, lol, don't need the Nativity til December ( ha, I've been saying that for 20 years, that's why I never made one and am finally getting around to it... Baby Jesus and 1 sheep done so far!!)

Baby Jesus and 1 sheep done so far!!

Well, you have the most important part done.  :-)  My daughter and I finally made one a few years ago.  It's not crocheted though, only sewn together using pre-printed figures and stuffed (I did, however, add cardboard pieces in the bottom so they would stand).  I should take a picture.  I'll do that.  Here you go:  

post-57694-0-76932400-1363539313_thumb.jpg

Well, you have the most important part done.  :-)  My daughter and I finally made one a few years ago.  It's not crocheted though, only sewn together using pre-printed figures and stuffed (I did, however, add cardboard pieces in the bottom so they would stand).  I should take a picture.  I'll do that.  Here you go:  

I love it! I didn't know they had one pre-printed, That is really nice and colorful, too, it would be perfect for little kids, too. I'll have to check that out. I have several figures started, depends on "who" I feel like working on. (I'm using the lead balls DH uses in his old-fangled musket for weights in the bottom to keep them standing. I was afraid the cats would be knocking them over without some sort of weight inside)

I picked up one of the silver at Michael's today; couldn't resist. I did use a 50% off coupon, though! I also saw on their facebook page that this is in fact a new product; they said it should be all rolled out by summer, up on the website and everything. Can't wait! I want some gold! :D (None of the Michael's around here has any, but they've GOT to have gold somewhere - it would be silly to make metallic yarn and not make gold!)

I picked up one of the silver at Michael's today; couldn't resist. I did use a 50% off coupon, though! I also saw on their facebook page that this is in fact a new product; they said it should be all rolled out by summer, up on the website and everything. Can't wait! I want some gold! :D (None of the Michael's around here has any, but they've GOT to have gold somewhere - it would be silly to make metallic yarn and not make gold!)

They have something called Burnished Rose Gold.  It is more of a bronze look than actual gold in color.  I saw it at Michael's along with the other colors.  It's very pretty.  

It is a gorgeous bronze, but doesn't work for the project I have in mind. The silver doesn't exactly either, but it's close at least! I  :heart  :heart  :heart  :heart  the blue and the purple as well... being good though (I WAS making progress on my stashbusting this week!) and waiting until I actually have a use for them! Now that I know it's a new product and not some sort of bizarre limited edition or test product, I feel more comfortable about leaving it on the shelf - since I know it'll still be there when I go back later!

Yup, I'm in the process of getting rid of some of my yarn.  I really don't have that much compared to some people (just not enough space to really horde the stuff properly).  I have about 6 flat 16" x 22" plastic bins and 4 bigger (same shape, just taller) ones.  Then there are all the books I really need to cull.  Anyway, I will be buying more of this metallic yarn though, especially the BLUE!  It's my fav color.  :-)  

• 1 year later...

Niiiiiice. That's one of the things I was considering with it! My brother made himself an actual chain-mail shirt, but I figure this would go way, way faster. I did use the silver to edge a Thor helmet I made my son; didn't remember I had the stuff until most of the pieces were done or I might have used a lot more of it! Ah well.

Archived