January from a year of baby afghans five

teapot

Question

I was going to do this afghan but want to use baby sport weight yarn instead of a four ply.

Sport weight is a 3 ply and so is tlc yarn.

They call for a j hook.

So my question is this. Can I use baby sport weight and what size hook would you use.

Teapot

5 answers to this question

The recommended hook size is on the label of the yarn.  I would start with that and make a swatch to see if you're happy with it.

Are you going to do the pattern as is or try to make it a little bigger since dropping a yarn and hook size will make a smaller ghan?

The recommended hook size is on the label of the yarn.  I would start with that and make a swatch to see if you're happy with it.

Are you going to do the pattern as is or try to make it a little bigger since dropping a yarn and hook size will make a smaller ghan?

Well I was going to do it with baby sport weight yarn and a smaller hook. The lady wanted a afghan made with a baby yarn.

There is no reason why you cannot use a finer yarn and smaller hook with ANY pattern.

So long as you understand you may need to make a good sized swatch until you get the combination that gives you the hand/drape you want for the project.

It is also important to understand that the finsihed size will be smaller.  You can use your gauge swatch to get an idea -

For example if the original pattern give a gauge of 4 STI (or 20 St in a 10cm/4in swatch width)  dropping from worsted to "baby/fingering" might change the gauge to something closer to 7-8 STI (or 28-32 in 10cm swatch).

It will depend on the pattern what you will need to do to adjust the finished size.

Archived